Tutorials

First time recording

AndyG

Hi
Thought I would share this.
First time recording with a pc that will only record in mono ( faulty mic jack), and still working out how to use software.

Any comments and critiscism welcome, but dont be too harsh ;} (only learning for about a year).

http://andy1065.fileave.com/Imagine.mp3

Taz

Busking Oracle
I'm listening to this as I type and I'm wondering one thing. Why on earth did you lack confidence when we played in Rugby? I think I'd better watch my patch, cos if you were playing there I'd feel compelled to drop some cash in your case!
Very impressed mate, ok, as you say the quality of the recording is not top notch, but it doesn't mask the quality of the player!

OP
AndyG

AndyG

I'm listening to this as I type and I'm wondering one thing. Why on earth did you lack confidence when we played in Rugby?
Thanks Taz.
I lacked confidence as it was my first time in public and was a bit nervous, but I soon started to relax after a few tunes. Hope we can can get to busk again some day.

Last edited by a moderator:

stefank

Good work!

Following on what Taz says, the easiest way to improve on this is to work on your recording technique rather your playing. Maybe dump the backing track into a program that will allow you to multitrack (such as Audacity) and then record the sax as a separate track. You can then "adjust to taste".

For me, I would "set back" the sax a bit by turning it down a little and adding just a a touch (no more) of reverb. I think it's standing out in front of the backing just a little too much at the moment.

The playing? Not much to complain about. Near the beginning you end the final note of a few phrases a bit abruptly, and there's the odd note not quite in tune (major case of the pot calling the kettle black). Small details only, over all it's very nice.

Sunray

Bloody good job mate ...

What sort of set up do you use to record to computer - I am interested in giving this a go ...

Nice playing Andy ...

OP
AndyG

AndyG

Thanks Rob and Sunray.
The set up I use for recording to computer is a simple sony condenser mic I got for about £3 off ebay that plugs into mic jack. The mic seems ok but for some reason the jack on my laptop is faulty and will only pick up the sound from one channel so I have to record in mono. I have a built in mic but it doesnt seem to be very good quality.

Im certainly no expert but hope this helps

OP
AndyG

AndyG

Thanks Kev
The backing track was purchased from Spotify and I just played the notes by ear as I don't read music. I find spotify a really useful source for some good quality backing tracks.
Hope this helps.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Andy

Just found this, I thought it was very good and got better as you got into it and more relaxed.I'm always amazed when people say they don't read music, I think that's natural talent,I'm totally lost without the dots to learn.You did a great job with it and seemed to add little flourishes of your own to the tune.I'm getting my recording stuff out now, that will show you how good yours is (if it ever gets posted),keep them coming...john:w00t:

OP
AndyG

AndyG

Hi Andy

Just found this, I thought it was very good and got better as you got into it and more relaxed.I'm always amazed when people say they don't read music, I think that's natural talent,I'm totally lost without the dots to learn.You did a great job with it and seemed to add little flourishes of your own to the tune.I'm getting my recording stuff out now, that will show you how good yours is (if it ever gets posted),keep them coming...john:w00t:
Thanks John.
I have tried reading music but can't keep up!! need to keep practising.... so I admire those that can. I guess the main problem with not reading is having to know the tune well enough or would just be to improvise over the top of it...which is fun too.
Good luck with your recording and hope to hear it soon.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Thanks John.
I have tried reading music but can't keep up!! need to keep practising.... so I admire those that can. I guess the main problem with not reading is having to know the tune well enough or would just be to improvise over the top of it...which is fun too.
Good luck with your recording and hope to hear it soon.
Hi Andy

I did as I said and recorded something on a small recording device I bought about 2 yrs ago. I tried harlem nocturne and moon river when I finally fathomed out how to do it again (why do they make these things so complicated) An auto record button would be a great help like they have on cameras.Anyway it was atrocious and no better than a previous recording I had done 18 months ago or thereabouts.So needless to say that's not getting posted and I'm off to my crying room for a couple of days:crying: I actually spoke to my tutor and we're going to have a go at recording something tomorrow. I have got audacity on my pc but haven't got a clue how to use it,who knows may get something posted yet you should keep at the reading Andy it's bound to be slow at the start but you'll be surprised how quickly you get into it...john

TomMapfumo

Hi Andy!

Just found this - rarely press this button. I would echo much of what has been said above, and particularly enjoyed the little flourishes
that you have added. The one area for development that I would highlight would be the playing in the lower register "Imagine there's no........ " etc where the sound lacked a little clarity and could have done with a little more tonguing/staccato, and less slurring. In so far as the sound is undoubtedly influenced by recording equipment, I also thought that the lower register sounded a little too heavy/fatty - if you could play those sections a little lighter, that would be great. You do not want John Lennon singing the chorus while Bryn Terfel sings the verses:w00t::shocked:;}

Hope that is a helpful comment.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

OP
AndyG

AndyG

Hi Andy!

Just found this - rarely press this button. I would echo much of what has been said above, and particularly enjoyed the little flourishes
that you have added. The one area for development that I would highlight would be the playing in the lower register "Imagine there's no........ " etc where the sound lacked a little clarity and could have done with a little more tonguing/staccato, and less slurring. In so far as the sound is undoubtedly influenced by recording equipment, I also thought that the lower register sounded a little too heavy/fatty - if you could play those sections a little lighter, that would be great. You do not want John Lennon singing the chorus while Bryn Terfel sings the verses:w00t::shocked:;}

Hope that is a helpful comment.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:
Thanks for the kind words and tips of advice.
I no longer have the alto used in this clip however, as I exchanged it for a tenor (sax not cash), and had to learn to play in all different notes again. I do prefer soundwise how I play it now to how it was. If the recent buskmania video gets posted at some time, you may hear the "tenor version" as I think it was recorded, but I'm having to persuade Fraser to upload it.
Cheers

dave 645

Thought it was great. If that's after one year of practice, I've got some serious hours to put in. Really enjoyed it.

OP
AndyG

AndyG

Thought it was great. If that's after one year of practice, I've got some serious hours to put in. Really enjoyed it.
Thanks.
All these nice comments and I might be tempted to have a go at recording the tenor version. The main thing I disliked about this version, was a very noticeable rattling c#/Bb key, which I didn't bother to get fixed as I knew my future plans were to get the tenor.

Top Bottom