Tutorials

First public outing

davhudson

Feeling quite proud of myself today. I did my first real public performance.
This was with the dixie band that my teacher runs - the Fenny Stompers.

I only did two numbers:-
  • Bei Mir Bis du Shoen
  • Sentimental Journey
but did do a solo in Bei Mir.

I was shaking like a leaf and only fluffed a bit in Sentimental Journey.

Perhaps next time I will start to enjoy it instead being terrified!

OP
davhudson

davhudson

Well done:welldone

Now you have done it once it should be easier next time.

Is it going to be a regular thing?

mamos
Thanks - I hope so.

Regular - not with the Fenny Stompers as they are a Dixie Jazz band and although I do not mind that music it is not my favourite. I think I will be able to play with them a few more times this year though.

I am at that difficult stage where I can play a bit but am not yet good enough to hack it. I am looking for more places to play though.

One thing that strikes me is there seems to be lots of alto sax players about (that is what I play) and not as many tenors. I was thinking of getting a tenor and it might give me more opertunities to play.

What do people think?

Mamos

I know how you feel

I have been thinking the same but about the Baritone

I have never seen a bari player in Falmouth I could be a novelty act:)

mamos

thehunt

It seems that the Bari is rather unexplored but in my opinion a tenor and alto are far more wieldy, therefore more popular, i may be wrong though. I play tenor and we outstrip alto players in my band, the are always complaining we are too loud. Ifeel sorry for our clarinetists as we can never hear them.

Taz

Busking Oracle
I am looking for more places to play though.
Hi Dave, I'm glad you had fun, but the Fenny Stompers do sound like a hard act to join, how about coming along to a jam in Rugby on Wednesday? I go along most weeks and I'm the only sax player I've ever seen there. I play tenor with ocasional alto thrown in for good measure. I know that Rugby is a bit of a treck from MK, but you'd be very welcome.
Oh yeah, and if you play, you get a free drink! :sax: = :cheers: = :welldone

OP
davhudson

davhudson

Hi Dave, I'm glad you had fun, but the Fenny Stompers do sound like a hard act to join, how about coming along to a jam in Rugby on Wednesday? I go along most weeks and I'm the only sax player I've ever seen there. I play tenor with ocasional alto thrown in for good measure. I know that Rugby is a bit of a treck from MK, but you'd be very welcome.
Oh yeah, and if you play, you get a free drink! :sax: = :cheers: = :welldone
Thanks.
  • How many people go along?
  • What other instruments do they have?
  • What sort of music?

David

Top Bottom