All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

First Open Mic!!!

Larn

Hi all, been playing for a couple of years so still working at scales and the like,well anyway played my first open mic last night with some freinds on bass, guitar, alto and flute with me on Tenor, drummer didn't show. we played a couple of Lee Allen tracks which is how I got into the sax many years ago listening to my dads Little Richard, Fats Domino and Glenn miller records, so my early influences are Lee Allen, Alvin Tyler, Herb Hardesty and Tex Beneke. so as your can imagine I was stood at the front playing the Tenor lead. to say I was nervouis would be an understatement, but once we got going it wasn't as bad as I thought and actually really enjoyed it despite loosing my way at times but the experience was invaluable and so much better than honking away at home. So here's to the next one.

Mark.

Young Col

Welcome Larn and well done for taking that big step.
Interesting mix of influences. There is some footage on youtube of Tex Beneke with his rather too slick (for me) singing voice, but a good tenor player despite that.
YC

Sunray

Good Job Mate ...

Hey Mike ...

Well that certainly took some nerve I bet ...

Bloody good work ... :welldone

Welcome to the Cafe mate ...

PS - Get the tea's in - lmao ;}

Taz

Busking Oracle
HI Larn and welcome to the cafe. Personally I think that getting out there and playing in public is probably one of the best ways to learn. It's exactly how I started not that long ago, probably about six years this year. If your a little bored sometime have a read of Playing - How to Blag it as a Saxophone Player

Well done for having the guts to do it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Larn

Thanks all, been reading the threads for about six months and finally thought I'd better post so the open mic gave me something to break the ice with. Taz will read that as what I played that night although from memory was something we had practiced and I was listening to others on the night just improvising and would love to go one night and just play along. Oh well just lots of flying hours I guess must get back to those scales. again thanks all for the welcome.

Mark.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Mark

Welcome from me too ,one small step for man!!!!one huge step for a novice sax player!!!!congrats wish I could muster up the nerve:w00t:...john

johnboy

Hi Mark & welcome,
Yep it's the best way, getting the crowd going gives you a real buzz. So get out there & keep it up!

John.

Larn

Hi all thanks for the encouragement when I go next time I'd like to try and join in more it usually turns into a blues/jazz jam at the end of the night and was thinking should I try and play along using say the minor pentatonic or blues scales or is there a better way?

Mark.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Next time just play what YOU think sounds right. If you've got a good ear it'll work!

johnboy

As the king of the non-readers, I couldn't agree more with Taz (I havn't read the dots since 1957!), "Just play the Blues man".

John.

saxnik

Hi all thanks for the encouragement when I go next time I'd like to try and join in more it usually turns into a blues/jazz jam at the end of the night and was thinking should I try and play along using say the minor pentatonic or blues scales or is there a better way?

No, there's no better way!
Blues scales are minor pentatonics (with the extra 'blue' note), and should fit pretty well - as Taz says, it's all about using your ears to spot what sounds good, and to keep playing those good sounding things! Practice at home too...

Nick

P.S. try working on little phrases using two or three of the blues scale notes at random.

Top Bottom