support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs First mouthpiece - need advice

filipe

I've been using my Yas62 with the Yamaha 4C mpc and a Fibracell medium soft reed, ever since I started playing.

I accidentally dropped the mpc the other day and it got a little dent on it. It's still in almost perfect playing condition though.

So I thought about getting a new mpc and I remembered a problem I had (and still have to a lesser degree) that my open notes fall in pitch as I progress thru them. I used to get a open C very close to B and now the C is fine, and the C# is like 1/4 tone lower.
I made a thread (in the old forum) about it, and I got suggested that the combination of a thin mpc and a soft reed didn't help the open notes, and that I should try a wider mpc.

Therefore, I'm considering getting a wider mpc, but I'm clueless as to what's on the market, yamaha 5C or something? I'd like to get something as versatile as possible (budge is not a problem).

Thanks.

OP
F

filipe

Should I have posted this at the "Horns & Accessories" section?

Or should I go into more depth? Because I really don't know what else I need to know (I've read Pete's basics on mouthpieces) ... Will any mouthpiece do, or is it that difficult to choose one?

Nick Cook

I think you should go to a shop and try as many as you can. Then you'll be able to hear the sound you want. If you can't get to a shop in person, I believe some shops will send you a couple to try at home, but you have to use a mouthpiece and also pay in full for whatever you borrow with a refund when you send back what you don't want.

FastFred

I went from a Yamaha 5C to a 7* Otto Link rubber (tenor), have no plans to change it. I then bought a 7* STM metal s/hand off ebay but prefer the rubber. You do need to try a few as the Links do vary a lot and 2 of the same size ones can blow very differently. Good luck.

OP
F

filipe

Well, my issue is that I don't know what I want, except that it should be wider than a Yamaha 4C, and I've never tried any other mpc before.

So I should go to a shop and ask for mpc's wider than a 4C to tryout at home (if possible). But, could you narrow down a bit the field of options (I know it's a "personal" choice, but in this aspect I don't have any "personality" since I'm just a beginner).

Thanks for the replies.

FastFred

Just go to a shop and try a Link 7 or 7* and get some advice. If you are an average bloke with a decent puff you will be in the right ballpark. Keep the reed to a 2 or 2&1/2 max.

Top Bottom