support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

First Live Performance - What To Play?

Steve John B

I've been playing a little over 3 months, and my teacher wants me to take part in an evening show with some of his other students (mid July). I'm going to be doing something on alto with piano accompaniment. He initially suggested 'Autumn Leaves' but someone else is playing that.

Any ideas? I'm thinking 'These Foolish Things' should be doable. Something with a decent tune would be nice.

I'll be posting about stage fright nearer the time... :D

Good luck, it's good to get into perfoming early.

Pick something you like, enjoy playing and don't mind beating to death rehearsing. These foolish things sounds good, but I bet there'll be lots of other ideas.

Summertime would be my suggestion. And it's something you can come back to in the future and improvise on....

+1 for Kev's suggestion of Summertime, or Misty.

Both very expressive tunes with opportunity to elaborate in time.
As a closet (no, not literally!) player, I wish I had your determination and nerve - good luck!

Misty and summertime are both good suggestions.
"In a sentimental mood" was one of the first tunes I learned - thats a nice tune.
Other ideas (on a blues theme) - freddie freeloader, tenor madness, worksong.

Good luck!

Just to add ...
whatever tune you choose to do, get as many different versions as you can find (spotify is great for this) and listen to it over and over again until it drives you mad and is permanantly lodged in your brain. Also sing the tune to yourself over and over.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, tonight's the night. Doing "The Long & Winding Road". Have practiced it a fair bit, with and without teacher on piano. Should be ok apart from the unknown effects of terror! Played it ok the other night when I was absolutely fuming about our kid getting in trouble with the cops, so at least I know an elevated heartrate doesn't stop me...

Any last minute tips? (How drunk do I need to get for example :))) )

Kev just said it, enjoy yourself. If you don't it'll show through the way you play. I used to wear shades when I first played, it really helps because you can focus your gaze on a non populated area of the room and then you can mentally block out the crowd.
Have a ball and don't forget, we're all right there with you (not in a critical way either!)