support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

First Lesson Let-Down.

crocodilian

Locality
Wendover, Bucks
Hi, I've been playing under my own steam for almost 2 weeks now. I've been going over basics and playing parts of well known tunes every day after work. Regardless of my motivation I took some good advice from here and elsewhere to book some lessons. To cut a long story short, I booked a private lesson for this evening for 2 hours and the guy didn't turn up. I rang his house and his wife replied that he had a parents' evening (he's a teacher) and that he must've forgotten and most discouragingly "he's forgetful like that".
Now I'm quite a forgiving person but to do this on a first lesson (or any I suppose) is a bit unprofessional. Also, seeing as our beloved instrument is quite loud my fiancee had to make arrangements to be out of the house too. He didn't know this of course but being in the business he's in, he must realise that special arrangements and sacrifices are made by other people.
Rant over.
So, should I book this guy again or look elsewhere? Maybe I've answered my own question!

Hi Crocodilian,

It seems rather early in the year for a parents evening, but I guess education has changed a lot since I left school.

A 2 hour session seems, to me at least, to be quite a long session if you have just started. I started with half hour lessons and although they went quick I would not have had the stamina, mental or physical to last much longer.

I'd wait to see if he contacts you and apologies for the mix up, if he doesn't I'd look else where.

Best of luck,

Chris

bummer, give hime a chance, but if it continues.... Find another.

Teaching should be a two way learning experience and two hours does seem a bit long, even if he was aiming to do a lot of demonstration and theory.

Shorten the lesson and see if you 'fit' together. Some do better with a Miss Whiplash and others with a more relaxed style but a seed of doubt has been sown.

Hi There!

Not at all impressive, especially if his wife is happy to vouch for his forgetfulness to someone that she has presumably not met. If he is a teacher is he a generalist music teacher, or a sax player who also teaches (whatever subject....). My first ever lessons on alto sax were with a general music teacher at 16 - total waste of time.

The important thing is whether you connect and that they know your stuff, though reliability is important too. Do have a back up plan teacher wise. It may be an idea just to have a taster lesson to see how you get on before making any commitment - maybe see two teachers for a 30 minute lesson and see who most appeals, as teaching styles can contrast significantly.

Sorry you had a bad experience to start - if you want to pop 'round for a coffee, and try out a few ligatures, I promise I'll be here - total reliability here........;}

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

You've been going over the basics and playing a few tunes so obviously you are managing to play fairly well.
Why not wait a few more weeks and see how you get on, if you still feel you need a teacher at least you won't have to pay for basic lessons.

Dump him. Obviously he does not need your business. If i did that to my customers i would soon be out of business. You need someone to be committed to you, especially as a beginner.
I don't think two hours is too long as you wont be playing non-stop. For me an hour is too short, cos once you've got going it's time to pack up. But that is my opinion. Let us know how you get on. All the best Phil :w00t:

hi i have been having 1/2 a hour lesson for a couple of weeks i think it's worth having lesson to get the basics,
as i was so proud when i went to my last lesson i had been practicing every night on when the saints out of a book but the book is a bit basic i was moving my fingers to get (i think it's b flat) i got it so i could play three out of the four lines straight of when i went for the lesson the teacher said your playing that wrong and put you finger on the middle of the two keys, silly i know but it thew me .
it's like it has nocked my confidence but it just shows what you teach yourself so i would say go to a teacher and yes i think it does matter if you get on with the teacher.

how many lessons do you think you should have to get the basic's under your belt ,i do'nt want to do anything apart from play for my own fun i will be happy to be able to play some songs then progress on my own, but not sure the amount of lessons ,what would be an average be do you guys think.
pip
ps sorry to hi jack the post but i think it is connected

I have been having lessons ever since i started, 18mths ago, and am now working with another teacher as i am aware of the limitations of my current teacher. It depends i suppose if you just want to be able to play a few tunes or really want to be a really good player. This is my experience because as you progress you actually realise that this sax malarky is a lifetime thing. I'm sure other players will have differing advice. Good luck, Phil
hi i have been having 1/2 a hour lesson for a couple of weeks i think it's worth having lesson to get the basics,
as i was so proud when i went to my last lesson i had been practicing every night on when the saints out of a book but the book is a bit basic i was moving my fingers to get (i think it's b flat) i got it so i could play three out of the four lines straight of when i went for the lesson the teacher said your playing that wrong and put you finger on the middle of the two keys, silly i know but it thew me .
it's like it has nocked my confidence but it just shows what you teach yourself so i would say go to a teacher and yes i think it does matter if you get on with the teacher.

how many lessons do you think you should have to get the basic's under your belt ,i do'nt want to do anything apart from play for my own fun i will be happy to be able to play some songs then progress on my own, but not sure the amount of lessons ,what would be an average be do you guys think.
pip
ps sorry to hi jack the post but i think it is connected

Another motivator is the need to explain why you didn't practice....

please explain i must be thick but i did not get the idea
pip

1954pip i agree, but you have to understand Kev is half German, not only that he lives in the Sarf of Krautland..!! >:)
please explain i must be thick but i did not get the idea
pip

I'm not a half german, I'm a Brit through and though - with Scottish roots. I just live a lot closer to the Alps than the rest of you.

I meant that if you don't practise, it will show. And when you get home, are dog tired, and don't feel like practising, the thought of explaining to the teacher is a powerful motivator....

Having kids that are also learning an instrument is another motivator.... Can't kick them into practising, when you're skiving off yourself.

i thought it was about practice but was not sure
cheers

When I started playing I had an hour once a week for two years (both sax and trumpet). Then I did 90mins per fortnight, which I currently do just on trumpet - I had fairly fixed aims (to do Jazz Grade 5 in various instruments) and now doing Grade 7 in Trumpet and want to get confident enough to play more in public. I usually find it very motivating/supportive to have a teacher, in the same way that sports people usually always have a coach. I appreciate that others will have different aims, but I want to continue with input twice a month at time of going to press.

Kind regards
Tom

I suffer with ME and feel like crap, have band practice tonight so agree a teacher can be a motivator to get you going. I'd better get home and practice then before i go to the band.. yikes!!!
I'm not a half german, I'm a Brit through and though - with Scottish roots. I just live a lot closer to the Alps than the rest of you.

I meant that if you don't practise, it will show. And when you get home, are dog tired, and don't feel like practising, the thought of explaining to the teacher is a powerful motivator....

Having kids that are also learning an instrument is another motivator.... Can't kick them into practising, when you're skiving off yourself.

1. If I miss a lesson without letting my teacher know I expect to and have paid for the lesson time. Your teacher should at least give you a half price lesson for forgetting you.

2. two hours is too much for a beginner and your new teacher should have let you know that 2hrs would be too much.

3. I would get a new teacher

Hi Guys, i started about 5 months ago on alto sax and have been having a one hour lesson every week. I found this a great deal of help and as it has already been said having a teaching is a great motivator. My teacher forgot about my lesson once and agreed to give me the lesson for free on another day. i aim to play for at least an hour and a half every day at the least and find this ok.

any way hope i havent just posted a load of rubbish. :)

Rory

I agree that for a beginner two hours is too long. Even if you don't play all the time, that's too long to keep focussed early on.
Bad form in any walk of life to get your diary double booked and not realise. If he doesn't contact you suitably contrite I would look for another.
As to tough teachers, OG knows of mine and Griff does know her. I had been playing for a year before I started taking lessons but my first one was a shock to have all my bad habits and poor technique pointed out. A year on and she has got me to being technically a much better player and begining to understand what playing is about. She also tutored me to pass Grade 5 theory with distinction. Sometimes it is good to get a teacher who's style is very different to your own!
YC