All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

First jam session last night

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
:thumb: :w00t: :sax: probably best sums it up. All that scale work is certainly paying off. I can't wait to go back next time :)

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
Congrats :welldone

What did you play ?

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
Thank you :) Freddie Freeloader, Witch Hunt, Autumn Leaves, Stella by Starlight, Misty, Mr PC, Maiden Voyage, Well you Shouldn't, Times Square, Satin Doll, Watermelon Man and a couple of others that I don't remember. I was an absolute bunch of nerves, but really enjoyed it in the end and didn't get lost too many times.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Quite a lot! Well done.
I am genetically unable to memorise the progression for Stella, BTW.

What is "Well you shouldn't"?

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
Great stuff, that's a lot of jammin'. Glad you enjoyed it!

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
Quite a lot! Well done.
I am genetically unable to memorise the progression for Stella, BTW.

What is "Well you shouldn't"?

oops, it is of course "Well you needn't" by Thelonius Monk. Sorry! I had to play them all from the dots/printed changes.

Timbo, thank you. I think it's the longest I've played in years, my fingers feel a bit like bananas this morning.

I was complimented on my sound, which has had me floating on air ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Great stuff, you sound like you're really buzzing. Happy for you :)

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Well done, it sounds like you had a really, really good time! I hope the "floating on air" feeling lasts a lifetime!
:bigapplause:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Thank you :) Freddie Freeloader, Witch Hunt, Autumn Leaves, Stella by Starlight, Misty, Mr PC, Maiden Voyage, Well you Shouldn't, Times Square, Satin Doll, Watermelon Man and a couple of others that I don't remember. I was an absolute bunch of nerves, .

Well done and glad it wasn't a bunch of perves. >:)

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
We'll done I have been jamming a bit I'm just off to a weekly band workshop in a mo . What do you find hardest when playing with others :)

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
Thank you for the lovely comments and the applause :D

Andy, I think the hardest things were getting the hang of the etiquette and protocol when soloing. I did wade in a couple of times when no-one was taking the solo, and equally someone else had to wade in for me when I stopped after one pass through. I really, really wish that I hadn't squeaked too. Only once, but it rang out clearly over everybody else. Everyone was very friendly and I had the opportunity to solo on every piece, which I took on all but one or two. I hope you enjoyed your workshop!

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Hi mate it was really good tonight thanks . When you solo do you use mainly blues scale :) or do you know a little on the cord progressions :) .

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn

Andy, I think the hardest things were getting the hang of the etiquette and protocol when soloing. I did wade in a couple of times when no-one was taking the solo, and equally someone else had to wade in for me when I stopped after one pass through. I really, really wish that I hadn't squeaked too. Only once, but it rang out clearly over everybody else. Everyone was very friendly and I had the opportunity to solo on every piece, which I took on all but one or two. I hope you enjoyed your workshop!

If nobody is playing a solo..... it's your turn lol

Reeds squeak. It's great when they don't but from time to time they squeak. The trick is to squeak in tune and don't think about it or you'll squeak again.

It might just be a nerves finger fudge or you may be playing louder when soloing than you normaly do so could be overblowing the reed. Maybe try a half strength stiffer reed for performances. It works for me.

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
Hi mate it was really good tonight thanks . When you solo do you use mainly blues scale :) or do you know a little on the cord progressions :) .

I'm glad it went well. I used the blues scale a couple of times and tried to at least follow the changes by eye on the ballads, if not always by fingers.

If nobody is playing a solo..... it's your turn lol

Reeds squeak. It's great when they don't but from time to time they squeak. The trick is to squeak in tune and don't think about it or you'll squeak again.

It might just be a nerves finger fudge or you may be playing louder when soloing than you normaly do so could be overblowing the reed. Maybe try a half strength stiffer reed for performances. It works for me.

That's really helpful, Col, thank you. The reed was a touch on the soft side, and there were quite a few tenors so I probably was playing louder than normal.

Saxless

Wow, congrats on your first session.

I've got my first lesson tonight and I got nervous just reading this!

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW

Andy, I think the hardest things were getting the hang of the etiquette and protocol when soloing. I did wade in a couple of times when no-one was taking the solo, and equally someone else had to wade in for me when I stopped after one pass through.

This will help:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/jazz_etiquette_solos.htm

And congratulation! You are now on a roll....

Little My

Practice makes better.
Locality
Wiltshire, UK.
That has made me howl laughing, thank you Kernewegor!

Saxfree, you'll have a blast, if you'll pardon the pun!

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom