All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Saxophones "First in the world" travel soprano / nino

EdJ

The description is not the clearest. Is it in Eb, Bb or C? (Cb is even mentioned in a weird enharmonic twist vying for the most inconveniently pitched instrument available, possibly trumping the Ab piccolo clarinet)

If it was in the UK I might have a look and even buy one!

Any insight in the cafe?

rhysonsax

The English in the description is bad, but it seems that they chopped off the bell and more of a normal Bb soprano, so losing the low C downwards.

They also removed all of the LH palm keys (losing high D, D#,E and F) and the RH side keys (losing the trill F#, side A#/Bb and side C).

Confusingly there seems to be a high front F key but god knows what that is supposed to do !

They throw into the title and description a lot of nonsense about "Sopranino" and "C Saxophone" which is just misleading.

Might be OK for charming snakes or hitting them on the head or just for nailing to a wall as novelty decoration.

Rhys

rhysonsax

it seems that they chopped off the bell and more of a normal Bb soprano, so losing the low C downwards.
I should have said low C# downwards.

And they have lost all of the LH pinky keys (serving no purpose) except the G# which seems to have been rotated by about 90 degrees for no obvious reason.

It would be interesting to know what the effect of not having a bell on the end of the cone would be.

I've often thought about removing the bow and bell from a tenor or an alto. It would lose the lowest C#, C, B and Bb but save lots of weight. But what would it do to the tone and the tuning ?

I'm almost tempted to try.

Rhys

OP
E

EdJ

Rashaan Roland Kirk would be proud of you. Do an alto, tenor and curved sop then play them all at once.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Confusingly there seems to be a high front F key but god knows what that is supposed to do !
Yes that's a particular chestnut right there, LOL !

It seems solely linked to upper stack C cup, nothing else...thus I suppose if depressed, it would close only the C cup .

Makes one wonder whether they actually ran this by a sax player at all (?)

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I've often thought about removing the bow and bell from a tenor or an alto. It would lose the lowest C#, C, B and Bb but save lots of weight. But what would it do to the tone and the tuning ?

I'm almost tempted to try.
I can whip one of those up for you if ever you want...I have enough parts horns here to do that and make one playable...I can even probably put a bona-fide bell on the end of it.....

OP
E

EdJ

Cheap to service: run a lead through it, bulb and socket on top. Base glued to a round bit of wood - something useful if unattractive?

But maybe it plays better than a Xaphoon and not many pads to leak / keys to bend so despite redundant keys it could have a niche (I love portability)

If it was in C it would be good as a portable low maintenance non-transposing soprano a la C melody 1920s "home model"

MMM

Looks great, but I don't see a front F key.
Was about time they got rid of all those extra keys: how many notes are we supposed to play? come on! :)

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Looks great, but I don't see a front F key.
Was about time they got rid of all those extra keys: how many notes are we supposed to play? come on! :)
Actually look closely...the Front F key (touch) IS there. It just cannot possibly result in an F because the rest of the mechanism apparatus (along with the palm keys) are absent.....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom