SYOS

First gig on Friday

Moz

Friday is our first gig where we are the only band and I was looking forward to it but now I'm not sure. Tonight we had our last rehearsal and, in my opinion, it was rubbish, whereas previous rehearsals have been great. Does anyone have previous experience of poor run-ups to a gig? Was the gig good in the end or just a rubbish as the rehearsal?

(You may have gathered that I'm looking for some positive vibes here)

Moz

Rogerb

First I should say I have neverdone a 'gig', but I have run hundreds of training courses, which were a kind of 'performance', so let me, if you will, share my experiences.

First, you say that "previous rehearsals were great"....hang-on to that thought, because it proves that your band is capable of playing well, and suggests that the last rehearsal was a 'blip', probably caused by 'trying too hard' or concentrating on all sorts of things other than just playing.

That being said, make sure that the 'other stuff' has been dealt-with before you get-up to play, i.e. that all the 'technical preparation', etc, is properly done, leaving you free to PLAY! (So be there in good time, get everything set-up, go to the loo, etc)

Then think about the audience, not yourselves..... they are not there to see how cr@p you are, but to enjoy your playing....look at them, see how they are responding, be aware of what they want from you, and give it to them (as far as you can).

Then whatever happens, happens...don't sweat it, remember those great rehearsals.

This attitude worked for me(mostly) in 'live performances'...and when it didn't, we reviewed, learned lessons and prepared for the next 'gig' to be better :)

My rule-of -thumb is that your third 'gig' is likely to be the one to watch-out for....you are just beginning to think you've cracked-it and can relax (and there is a danger that your prep will be a bit sloppy :( ).
The fright that you get from that will help ensure that you don't repeat that particular 'crime'!

I don't know if this helps...especially from a complete novice in the area of playing music...but I hope you can see some relevance.

If you are well-prepared the chances are you'll enjoy it...and so will your audience.
I won't say 'Good Luck' because I don't think it's appropriate :)

dooce

Best to go to a gig feeling a bit tense. It's the ones where you go feeling blase and confident that more often turn out to be the rubbish.

mrjulian

first gig

There must be something about the practise before the gig - I've seen it happen with my playing, and also with the Morris Dance team (there it is in black and white for those of you who didn't know - I'm a Morris Dancer!).

Like Roger says, do your prep; then go out with a big grin on your face and hit them with your best. It's a great feeling. And you'll be surprised how much of a buzz you'll get from the audience.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Yup- the worst thing is a great rehearsal before a gig, everyone gets complacent. Bad rehearsal = everyone slightly more on the case = good gig

TonyMoroney

I agree with Roger, it's all about the prep. From a guitarists perspective, it was always, spare strings, tuner, spare batteries, double check effects, and the list goes on.

For a sax gig (I'm guessing) it would be stuff like cork grease, spare reeds, tuner, etc. Once you know you've checked everything you need and have back up reeds and stuff it'll allow you to focus on the gig and forget about the nonsense.

All I can say other than that is to wish you the very best of luck, knock em dead mate!! Just remember that there are people like me that are quite envious of you right now, I'm sure you'll be great!!

T.

Young Col

Moz, Let me add a tiny bit to all this good advice. Like Roger I am a musical novice these days, but I also used to run training courses for a living. There are similarities. Remember that your audience won't know what you're going to play or what your arrangement is like, so they won't know even if you do make any minor mistakes. Enjoy it -the audience really do want to hear you, otherwise they wouldn't be there.
Colin

Taz

Busking Oracle
I know that this post is...er...post gig:w00t:, but I have to agree with almost everything that's been said above, except if your band is newly formed and you don't have a following, then the crowd will probably not be there to see you (especially if your playing in a pub) therefore, for the first few numbers they probably wont even take much notice of you. This is a great time to find your feet. You will hear every tiny little mistake you make, they will hear a band with a sax in it! The only thing you can do is to enjoy yourself and have a good time...Its the law!;}

BTW, How did it go?

Top Bottom