Tutorials

Finlandia

Ne0Wolf7

I was thumbing through some quartet books at school to help choose pieces for music honor society inductees to perform for their induction requirement and when I saw a song entitled "Finlandia" I thought it sounded funny, so we read through it. I actually really liked it, so I took photos of the book and sight read through it all when I got home. The more I record the less I can tell if my recording methodology or myself is the problem, so I decided not to sweat it and share the recording anyhow:
https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555%2Ffinlandia View: https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555/finlandia

Please do critique and whatnot.

sizzzzler

A really good exercise to find your own sweet spot is to start a note with gentle blowing until the note starts and hold it there. Do this across the whole range and take a long time over this exercise. Try putting the mouthpiecefurther in and out, lossen and tighten your embroucher, try softer and harder reeds. This will help you find your personal sweet spot.
I’m with Pete here, 1/3 of a practice session should be aimed at the single note.
Beginners often think playing is about the phrase, but really it is giving each individual note its voice, feeling, personality, depth of being, presence, truth. This is the case for every instrument in every style. It’s what moves the listener.

jbtsax

Subscriber
I am curious as to how you recorded this quartet playing all the parts yourself. Did you record the soprano melody part on one track and then record the alto to a separate track listening to the soprano part in headphones, and so on and then at the end mix all four tracks onto one? Knowing the method of recording will help guide any comments and suggestions in this area.

OP
Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7

I am curious as to how you recorded this quartet playing all the parts yourself. Did you record the soprano melody part on one track and then record the alto to a separate track listening to the soprano part in headphones, and so on and then at the end mix all four tracks onto one? Knowing the method of recording will help guide any comments and suggestions in this area.
This is four altos.
I recorded the lowest part first and worked my way up, with a metronome and the previously recorded parts playing through headphones.

Top Bottom