support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Fingers

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Well, no sax practice for me tonight.

Today I replaced the chain on my chainsaw, and tested it. This is obviously a potentialy dangerous activitity, so I was careful at every stage. Job went without a hitch, no problem. Chainsaw now ready for tree felling activities once the weather calms down a bit.

Then went on to something really simple, which involved, among other things, cutting through a couple of cable ties with some side cutters. Complacent, not paying attention, net result is a deep cut on the tip of my right hand ring finger and a small slice completely removed from the tip of my right hand little finger. No real serious damage, and my lovely wife is a nurse, so all bandaged up neatly, but no saxophony for me tonight. :(

*******s.

Ouch!

I hate when that happens. Thank goodness it's only a superficial wound that will heal over time.

I too work with dangerous tools like chainsaws, and lots of saws actually as I have a woodshop. And I'm always very careful, I've learned the importance of "safety first" a very long time ago, thank goodness.

Still, like you I was real careful around the dangerous stuff, and then ended up cutting my fingertip doing a simple chores (washing dishes actually!). The knives where sharper than I realized.

It was a very superficial wound, but at the time I was learning to play fiddle and there was no way I could finger the strings with the cut fingertip. So I had to put the fiddle away for almost a month till my finger healed. That was torture.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has dedicated their life to becoming a professional musician only to lose some fingers altogether at some point. That must be totally devastating. I once saw a movie where a man cut a finger off his wife's hand so she could no longer play the piano. How gross is that? In fact, I think the name of that movie was actually "The Piano"? Not sure about that, exactly. He chopped her fingers off with a hatchet on a log stump.

Makes me shutter to this very day.

Oh well, sorry for the rant. May your finger heal quickly!

My wife doesn't trust me with anything sharp!

fork_cork_pic_web-144x300.jpg

I hope your feeling a little better soon and back to your usual practice regime!

Only one reply to that that's allowable on the forum: -

Prat!

Ooops!!! Hope it gets better soon Jon, btw when will it explode???

Chris

There have been musicians who have lost one or more fingers and continued playing at a high level.Two who come to mind are Django Reinhardt and pianist Bill Mcguffie, one of Uk's top jazz pianists in the 50's or 60's.
Thankfully, jonf, your injury isn't as severe as theirs were so hopefully you'll be backto playing very soon.
Speedy and full recovery wished for.
O.C.V.

:blowkiss: to make it better

Jx

Ouch, Jon, I hope it's better soon.
I grated the tip off my left index finger once while grating cheese on a good old manual metal cheese-grater.

I must have made a loud yelp, or similar, as within seconds all 3 of my teenage children and my husband had rushed to the kitchen to help.

When my husband asked if I needed a tissue, my reply was somewhat tearfully that I think I needed rather more than a tissue. :crying:

Like you I couldn't play for a few days, and it was very tender for a while longer.

No real damage done though; although I now have a nice rotary grater, for the safety of my fingers :D

Ouch, Jon, I hope it's better soon.
I grated the tip off my left index finger once while grating cheese on a good old manual metal cheese-grater.

I must have made a loud yelp, or similar, as within seconds all 3 of my teenage children and my husband had rushed to the kitchen to help.

When my husband asked if I needed a tissue, my reply was somewhat tearfully that I think I needed rather more than a tissue. :crying:

Like you I couldn't play for a few days, and it was very tender for a while longer.

No real damage done though; although I now have a nice rotary grater, for the safety of my fingers :D

Dangerous things cheese graters - and nutmeg graters (tend to be sharper...).

Jon - hope it mends soon.

Chainsaw?

Jon,
Ever considered a life as a CaSLM enforcer.

I use the term "life" as that is what our recent employee is serving.

Trust they are not too sore to focus the scopes.

You will be back in no time. Body is a wonderful thing (well, mine used to be ok in a dim light). Got a beagle tooth through the lower lip a while ago, healed now with a wonderful scar but I was able to play again in about ten days, albeit, not for long. I think the misses is training the brute up to do it every two weeks or so. All the best
Mike

I lost about 2 inches off my F sharp finger when i was 15, i was drumming at the time so no problems. Later went on organ, again no major problems, then later still Sax, lots of problems. But with modern design's of sax's i can just touch the side of the key cup with the tip(no jokes please) but have to clench my hand to reach Eb and low C which makes fast flurries of notes very difficult. Last Guitar no probs except dropping the pick a lot, so i think you will be ok.
Regards Rob.:verysad

Sympathies Jon.
I managed to get through life without any major injuries to hands until last year when I, in a similarly unguarded moment, caught my right index finger knuckle on the side of a new drill bit while it was turning. Didn't look at all nice but quick first aid helped although there are a couple of odd lumps of cartilege now. No loss of mobility and I'm now more worried about slight arthritis in both hands. However, my sax teacher delivered the stern warning "You won't get arthritis while I'm teaching you!".

Reminds me though of a good dentist I used to go to. He was also a good amateur goalkeeper. He gave up football as he felt he couldn't take the risk of damaging his hands as they were his living.
YC

Reminds me though of a good dentist I used to go to. He was also a good amateur goalkeeper. He gave up football as he felt he couldn't take the risk of damaging his hands as they were his living.
YC

I "banned" my daughter from playing basketball in school after she had a run-in with the sports hall wall. Fortunately she didn't break any bones, but the scuff was rather a mess all the way along her arm.
She needed those arms for her archery, and no school sports hall wall was going to stop her!

I "banned" my daughter from playing basketball in school after she had a run-in with the sports hall wall. Fortunately she didn't break any bones, but the scuff was rather a mess all the way along her arm.
She needed those arms for her archery, and no school sports hall wall was going to stop her!
When I used to play squash, I would regularly crash into the side wall...

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Took the dressings off this morning for a little look and it's not too bad - clear evidence of the self repairing nature of the body. A bit sore, but having expert first aid from the lovely Mrs F has helped. Little finger looks a bit odd, flat at the end where I sliced the end off, but not too bad.

Chris, supernova any time in the next million years or so? Or maybe it's already happened - at 640 light years away, when I was looking at it the night before last I was actually seeing it at about Chaucer's time.

Bill, the chainsaw is an astronomical device. It will allow me to see the skies better by chopping down a droopy Silver Birch tree in my garden. I promise to be a lot more careful with the chainsaw. Doesn't matter a stuff whether I can focus the scopes at the mo, as it's raining persistently.

And finally, Kev. Yes, I know I'm a prat, slicing the ends of my fingers doing nothing more risky than cutting a cable tie.

Jon

Glad to hear it Jon, I wondered about the " location"!! I know nothing of astronomy, but thought an exploding star and a finger might raise the odd smile..

Happy New Year...:cheers:

Chris

Ouch!

I hate when that happens. Thank goodness it's only a superficial wound that will heal over time.

I too work with dangerous tools like chainsaws, and lots of saws actually as I have a woodshop. And I'm always very careful, I've learned the importance of "safety first" a very long time ago, thank goodness.

Still, like you I was real careful around the dangerous stuff, and then ended up cutting my fingertip doing a simple chores (washing dishes actually!). The knives where sharper than I realized.

It was a very superficial wound, but at the time I was learning to play fiddle and there was no way I could finger the strings with the cut fingertip. So I had to put the fiddle away for almost a month till my finger healed. That was torture.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who has dedicated their life to becoming a professional musician only to lose some fingers altogether at some point. That must be totally devastating. I once saw a movie where a man cut a finger off his wife's hand so she could no longer play the piano. How gross is that? In fact, I think the name of that movie was actually "The Piano"? Not sure about that, exactly. He chopped her fingers off with a hatchet on a log stump.

Makes me shutter to this very day.

Oh well, sorry for the rant. May your finger heal quickly!

Django Reinhardt did OK..!!..but Wes did'nt

Last edited by a moderator: