support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Fingers crossed

Colin the Bear

Had a pop up gig last night and the bari fell to bits. The socket has detatched itself from the pig tail. I've had a go at soldering it back on but I'm just making a mess. I seem to have lost my touch. It's a Weltklang and I've had it for almost 40 years
Any how.
Thomann are having a clear out so I've taken the plunge and ordered this.

I'm hoping that with a bit of fettling it will play ok. Fingers crossed. :happydance:

The old Weltklang is a klunk fest. I may be able to get it resurrected but I don't want to spend a lot on it. It may make a nice lamp. ;)

Shouldn't be that much of a deal. Bari pigtails/upper bows are prone to falling off - it's all down to selective galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of moisture present in that part of the horn and the body tube joint are relatively small in diameter - and Weltklangs in particular tend to suffer more than most (they used cheap solder).
The key to reassembly is thorough cleaning of the joints (take them right back to brass) and a reasonably hefty gas torch to bring the tube up to temperature. You might just about do it with a Dremel Versaflame, but it'll be a tense operation.

Shouldn't be that much of a deal. Bari pigtails/upper bows are prone to falling off - it's all down to selective galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of moisture present in that part of the horn and the body tube joint are relatively small in diameter - and Weltklangs in particular tend to suffer more than most (they used cheap solder).
The key to reassembly is thorough cleaning of the joints (take them right back to brass) and a reasonably hefty gas torch to bring the tube up to temperature. You might just about do it with a Dremel Versaflame, but it'll be a tense operation.
I had a go with the dremel but it hasn't got the oomph. It's great for little jobs.
I've tried with a torch I used to use brazing fridge compressor pipes too. It may well be me. I seem to be out of practice. The clean up after each attempt is time consuming and off putting.
Maybe I wasn't as good at soldering as I remember.
I need to find someone trustworthy, near enough to take it to.
Meanwhile...Santa has a large parcel for me and if it sings, I have a plant pot as a spare. Oooh F#. ;)

Does the new one come with pads or are they an add on option?
Thomann stuff seems to be of a basic but acceptable standard. There's a three year guarantee and a 30day returns policy.

At the price and checking the pictures, I couldn't resist. Black friday and all that.
Paypal interest free credit spreading it over 90 days makes it £10 a day.

I just hope Yodel don't batter it and leave it on the roof. ;)

@Colin the Bear I am now so tempted. There's a G4M Rosedale for sale just down the road from me, it's being sold as needing a service and looks a bit scruffy, and that's only £25 cheaper than the Startone one. Then there's a second hand BW for sale in West London, but that's £275 more than the Startone.

I tried a rosedale tenor. Didn't like it. Just didn't feel right. Sold it on.
I had a blow of a Bauhaus bari. It seemed to lack oomph to me.
I think the startone is a clearance deal. They can't last long at that price.
30 day return and a 3 year guarantee and nobody's slavered over it. ;)

Nice one.

And if it doesn't work out..
30 day return
This must be hard to resist for a trade-in

That's an amazing price, I'd be impressed if it was made of cardboard for that, but think, for a mere £5000 more, more or less, you could have had a Yamaha. I hope it's all you are hoping for.