support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

FINGERING TECHNIQUE TO C1

siramazing

Hopefully I am not being lazy in not checking all old posts regarding fingering technique, but at this time I have a specific question regarding getting the right pinky down in time when skipping down to C1 from a higher note. For example, if I need to slur from F1 down to C1, and not be late on getting the pinky down, is it correct to use some wrist motion in the right wrist to get the correct angle and pressure on the C key? I do this standing (or sitting) in front of a mirror so I can see the fingers, and when I use the wrist, it works perfectly. I also am working on keeping the fingers right above the keys when I do this, and, yes, I am doing it slowly. Suggestions?

This may be more of a personal preference question than a right or wrong question. I don't use any wrist motion (on alto) going from F to low C because I don't find it necessary. For me it is about coordinating fingers to move together. If the little finger is late on a fingering pattern, practice that note change back and forth starting slowly and gradually build up speed. Sometimes it helps to think of "leading" with the little finger (or the weak finger).

Playing the palm keys and side keys involves some wrist movement, but generally speaking playing the stack keys and little finger keys do not.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and and I am actually thinking of leading with the pinky, and when I do that, that's where I find myself using wrist motion, since it helps "point" the pinky to the correct angle.
Thanks for the reply, JB . Love your signature, but I thought I was the oldest, most opinionated guy I know.

That is a contest that could go on for a while. I think there would need to be some "refreshments" available for the spectators.

Ha ha! The opinionated saxophonist version of "Duelling banjos".
I have duelling banjos transposed for 2 Baris!

out of interest...could you keep your pinkie down? would it affect the F?
(I would go upstairs and try it, but I can't be bothered! - I've just got in from an afternoon of playing and want to veg!)