All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

finding out the age of my YTS-62

thesaxman71

Hello all,
I have a YTS-62 and have had it since around 1994, i bought it from my sax teachers wife way back then after he sadly passed away, he had it for a few years and i just wonder the approximate year it was 'born', the serial number is 004***
i have NO intention to sell it and will play it to my last breath as i 100% love it over any other saxes i tried including many mark vi, keilworth, conn tenors etc etc, as this sax is, in my humble opinion, a class above, maybe i just hit lucky with a one off exceptional horn...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigtwin

Best plan is to take a hacksaw to it between the F and G keys and then count the rings. Keep a roll of tape to hand in case you find out it's an age you like.

You'll have to do this, as there's now way of aging a Yam from the serial no alone, as they're not sequential. You'll have to email Yam and ask.

It's highly unlikely you have got lucky and have an exceptional horn. They are a very good horn, and Yam quality control ensures that you really don't get a lot of variation out of the factory. From then on, it's down to how they have been cared for.

thesaxman71

thanks for the reply Bigtwin, hacksaw, ring counting hahah, nice one....
my rough guess is around between 1981 to 1984 as my teacher was playing it then when i started learning at secondary school but i was a little more curious if anyone knew the actual year, a purple yamaha print on the bell and purple yamaha sign on the crook...
a side note, as for exceptional, well this one really is, no dispespect to other yamaha's or brands of saxes as i tried many, many other 62's, customs, other horn brands etc etc and this one has a definitate edge and voice, as for cared for it has gigged all over the world with me, looks like a boxer that just taken a pounding, scrapes, scratches, bumps and bruises etc but has recently been fully overhauled and set up, blowing like a dream...

Bigtwin

Cool. I'd imagine he must have not had it long at that time. The later ones had the printed, rather than engraved, purple bell label. A tenor player in my band had one, it certainly sounded the business, and they are very well regarded. There is an interesting "play off" between one and a vintage Conn on you tube.

Did you see the recent one that went on eBay for £1100 - someone found it in their house. That never happens to me.

thesaxman71

nice one i will look for the "play off" after i write this..
1,100 quid on ebay, sounds cheap and a great find, never mind, i got one i will never swap or sell and i was offered 1,500 15 years ago by someone who really wanted it, but i wanted it more of course, no sale price as far as im concerned, hard to get a horn that feels part of you...
forgot to say my horn is engraved on the bell with purple yam print on side...

Bigtwin

I think the engraved ones, with the real mother of pearl keys, were the earlier versions - late 70s (they started making them in '78) early 80s, and I gather more sought after.

Merryfisher

Hello all,
I have a YTS-62 and have had it since around 1994, i bought it from my sax teachers wife way back then after he sadly passed away, he had it for a few years and i just wonder the approximate year it was 'born', the serial number is 004***
i have NO intention to sell it and will play it to my last breath as i 100% love it over any other saxes i tried including many mark vi, keilworth, conn tenors etc etc, as this sax is, in my humble opinion, a class above, maybe i just hit lucky with a one off exceptional horn...

I too am a fan! it is nigh impossible to get any reference as to manufacture dates, i don't think records were kept or if they were they are very secret, i have a YTS62 that i bought second hand in 1986. It looks completely knackered, laquer worn out, green patches, pitted etc -but - it sounds and plays just sweet as a nut. I've tried later '62s and '82s, Selmers etc but they did'nt come near to it. Like my YTS61, the older it gets the better it sounds. Like you, i could never sell it or replace it/them - great horns no doubt

thesaxman71

I too am a fan! it is nigh impossible to get any reference as to manufacture dates, i don't think records were kept or if they were they are very secret, i have a YTS62 that i bought second hand in 1986. It looks completely knackered, laquer worn out, green patches, pitted etc -but - it sounds and plays just sweet as a nut. I've tried later '62s and '82s, Selmers etc but they did'nt come near to it. Like my YTS61, the older it gets the better it sounds. Like you, i could never sell it or replace it/them - great horns no doubt
indeed i agree, mine looks like a 'bag of spanners' but the pads, springs, set up, action are amazing, best horn i had ever, and i had a few of the top one's sent to me to try out... nice to see another YTS-62 fan, in my opinioin, probably the most under rated tenor sax.

p.s.
how do i add my set up at the bottom of my page, as i can see your list of saxes, i.e. my sax, mouthpiece etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
how do i add my set up at the bottom of my page, as i can see your list of saxes, i.e. my sax, mouthpiece etc?
Click on 'Forum Actions'. Under 'Whats new/Donate and support'. Click on 'edit profile'. left hand side click on 'Edit Signature' you can have up to three lines..

Chris..

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom