Tutorials

Saxophones Finally, i got my Mauriat 66RX!!!

angelitochavez

Hello guys, after thinking and thinking about whether selling my yamaha tenor 61 or not, y old it and bought mi mauriat 66 R influence, and im pleased to say im very very happy with it!!
The sound its great, so deep and full, but im still trying to adapt to its ergonomics, specially my left hand (i ve very small hands and i still press D and D sharp by chance). This this happened to any of you?
Ad by the way, for thos who play this saxophone, which mouthpiece and reeds do you use!!
Im using a Vandoren Java t77 with Vandoren classic reeds 2 1/2.
Thanks for yor advice!!!:welldone

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I find high baffle pieces work great on the 66r's.The horn is so dark and fat and huge it can handle the brighter cutting mp's and fuels the mix fantastic.I have played on Guardalas,SR TECH fusion,RPC 15B,JUMBO JAVA,LAW Buzzer and now a Theo Wanne Durga on my 66r's (had 3) and all these mp's were all high baffle and every 1 for me played sweet,my Durga is the winner though,now these are superb and on my new 66RUL it's screaming.As for reeds i now find that Rico jazz select 2 Hard are nice.Still going to check out the new line of BENZ reeds,they sound like they might be good.

saxnik

On my 66R I play an Otto Link Super Tone Master (metal) with La Voz reeds for my 'mellow' stuff, jazz playing or big band section playing. You can rasp it a bit when you need to, or get the fluffy tone when you're playing quietly since the Link has no baffle.

For the Rock and Pop stuff I use a Dukoff D7 ('silverite') with Hahn synthetic reeds at the moment (although I'm going to try a Legere Signature when I can) - this combination, with the baffle and very responsive reed, means you can really hammer out the riffs with a lot of projection, a fairly direct sound. Not tried these Durgas - seem pricey to me (both my mps came second-hand!)!

Good luck,

Nick

daveysaxboy

When you see and try a Durga you will see why they cost what they do,there a piece of art and what a sound.Never looked at any mp's since i got mine and thats saying somthing for me i can tell you.

Der Wikinger

From what I saw a Durga cost $ 700. Do you have to smoke a special kind of weed before purchasing to be willing to spend that much or after to console yourself about the money?

daveysaxboy

From what I saw a Durga cost $ 700. Do you have to smoke a special kind of weed before purchasing to be willing to spend that much or after to console yourself about the money?
I thought the same until i blew them.We pay alot for the sax but your true sound comes from your mp so why should we get a cheap mp to add to your costly sax.Theo Wanne has put alot of time and thought in to his TRUE LARGE CHAMBER sound concept mp's,i can see how now.At the end of the day these mp's are state of the art,finished to the best i have seen.Each to his own but there great for me.

daveysaxboy

I thought the same until i blew them.We pay alot for the sax but your true sound comes from your mp so why should we get a cheap mp to add to your costly sax.Theo Wanne has put alot of time and thought in to his TRUE LARGE CHAMBER sound concept mp's,i can see how now.At the end of the day these mp's are state of the art,finished to the best i have seen.Each to his own but there great for me.
Forgot to say i think paying £4000.00,£5000.00,for a MK6 is crazy but thats me.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom