support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Finally getting to grips with this recording lark!

Taz

Busking Oracle
I'm so much happier with the quality of my recording now. I seem to be getting to grips with making my tenor sound like a tenor and not a strangulated goat! (Not that I have any experience of strangling goats, it's just what I imagine them to sound like!) Still a few things I need to sort out before I'm really happy with it but it's ok to be getting on with.

Now, if only I could sort my playing out :rofl:

Here's a quick rendition of The Lady is a tramp.

https://soundcloud.com/taz-16/a-tramp-like-lady-tenor-sax

Ha ha I had to look that one up! Timbo, I thought that compression was to deal with the louder notes, not boost the quieter ones. Some one will have to explain that one too me o_O :rofl:

You could also have a go at manually editing the volume magnitude envelope...
No, just get the manual and explain that one!

This was nasty: it is a destructive procedure on the original soundfile! Much better learning automation.

Jokes apart, your loudest note (or noise, even for a fraction of a second) sets the overall volume, since that cannot be louder than 0db. If you take the peaks down and raise the overall volume, the softest parts will sound louder.
This can be done in various ways. The easiest one is using a compressor with "autogain" function.
The best one, a Studer tape recorder (it is mostly a digital age issue) or an expensive outboard compressor.

Recording at 24bit at a lower input level makes a huge difference.

Last edited: