support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Finale Music Notation Program

I use Finale Print Music (2009), but I'm far from a competent user as I don't use it that often, but when I have it's been good. Was there anything in particular you were interested to know about it?

My only slight bugbear with the company is that they seem to have decided that each year there should be a new version, when I realised that my 2009 version had been superseded by the 2010 version I had to look hard to see what had been upgraded! Needless to say I didn't upgrade.

I tried the free demo of Sibelius, but wasn't taken with it and then found out the price, ouch! I believe it's all wrapped up into Avid now, they do ProTools etc.

Best Wishes,

Chris

I am an advanced user with Finale 2008. There are many things I don't know about copyright, so please don't anyone misunderstand me. I have made my OWN arrangements of various songs that are in the finale format. If I were contacted privately, I might discuss them with someone who wanted to know more about finale. Most of the songs are religious in nature. Finale can be purchased with an Educational Discount for about $ 150, but you have to ask the retailer or in many cases they will not mention it. I would share my arrangements with people if its ok and legal. Nothing fantastic, but better than nothing if you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Finale since 1994 (Finale 3.0, I believe!). Now using Finale 2010 Mac.

I've used it to prepare music for Bob Mintzer, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Yusef Lateef, the former Jazz Education Journal, Walrus Music, Kjos Publications, and the UNC Jazz Press.

By and large, Finale gets the job done.

~rick

PrintMusic 2010 for me. Although print out is available form my DAW, GarageBand and BiaB, find that it looks so much better in PrintMusic so at least the Lead Sheet is neat and understandable even if the backing tracks and demo CDs are rubbish. Well that's one sorely needed victory.

I started out on Finale 3.0 in the first half of the 90s as well.

I don't bother with all the upgrades - I've got 2004 here at home, and 2007 at work.

I do all my stuff on Noteflight. Struggled with Finale for years but I find Noteflight much less complicated and more intuitive, even though the online version has some limitations.

I know exactly what you mean about the upgrades. I was using Finale 2004 until a few months ago, when I began a copywork project for a client who required I use 2010 —*so we could exchange files back and forth.

And, OY, the learning curve! I think I'm on a first-name basis with much of tech support in Minnesota.

see ya!
~ Rick

The common key between all of the later versions off Finale is the Music XML export and import feature. In most cases you can trade scores between versions of Finale with no problems.

I haven't had as much luck with XML transfers. All the data may be there, but the transferred parts generally LOOK like garbage.

And I'm particular about the layout and appearance.

Some day Finale folks will allow a "save as earlier version" feature.

I use Finale Print Music (2009), but I'm far from a competent user as I don't use it that often, but when I have it's been good. Was there anything in particular you were interested to know about it?

My only slight bugbear with the company is that they seem to have decided that each year there should be a new version, when I realised that my 2009 version had been superseded by the 2010 version I had to look hard to see what had been upgraded! Needless to say I didn't upgrade.

I tried the free demo of Sibelius, but wasn't taken with it and then found out the price, ouch! I believe it's all wrapped up into Avid now, they do ProTools etc.

Best Wishes,

Chris

What he said :) I find it useful but I'm far from competent.

I'm what some may consider a power-user of Finale. I've used it since 1994, and have done copywork for major composers and major publishers. That said, I still curse it from time-to-time. In fact, I was just about to make the jump to Sibelius when I got a gig that required that I use Finale 2010, which I had to purchase.

So, for now, I continue on with Finale. I generally upgrade every 3-5 years.

~ Rick

Back
Top Bottom