All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Fiesta bands

jeremyjuicewah

Walked in to the town/village last evening to have a nose around before they let the bulls out for the evening fun. An observation and a question. I reckon there are five thousand people in the town I live in. Amazingly they can raise a few marching bands of about forty strong, ages from around ten to sixty. They have a trumpet section, a couple of big horns that I think will be tubas, or euphonium, a couple of smaller but similar horns, a slide trombone section, about ten clarinets and tenor and alto saxes along with the bass and snare drums and one in between the two. I have even seen a marching band with two huge kettle drums on wheels being pulled along by one bloke while another walks behind taking swipes at it with his sticks. The music doesnt exactly swing, but its great fun to hear and see. I havent lived in a mining village in England but I reckon thats about the only sort of place that could put on a brass band of ordinary people. I mean part timers, not specifically music students or musicians. Fiesta is a big deal here so I guess the bands are a neccessary part of the tradition. As I said, great fun. I couldnt fancy marching round those tiny streets in uniform playing my heart out though. It must have been close to thirty five degrees at six o'clock yesterday.

There was also a bloke and a girl playing with a drummer on their own. They were playing a conical shaped wind instrument, about ten inches long, slightly flared, about eight or ten finger holes, and what I think was a fan shaped reed which they appeared to put direct into their mouths. Quite high pitched, sounded more Italian than Spanish, but it was pretty good, though I reckon you could probably have too much of it. Anyone know what it was?
All the best
Mike

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
They were playing a conical shaped wind instrument, about ten inches long, slightly flared, about eight or ten finger holes, and what I think was a fan shaped reed which they appeared to put direct into their mouths. Quite high pitched, sounded more Italian than Spanish, but it was pretty good, though I reckon you could probably have too much of it. Anyone know what it was?
All the best
Mike
As far as I know they're either Sardana horns or Taragoto

jeremyjuicewah

Well I googled Sardona horn hoping for wikipedia and some explanation of the reed arrangement, but all I get is Kia Sedona Horn, some sort of 4x4. What a mad name for a car.

jeremyjuicewah

Just googled Sardona again and I find myself added to the list as someone looking for Sardona horns not Sedona horns. I will go to the pub now.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Saw something similar at the Festa Mayor in Sitges. They had a play-off of the Sardona duos/trios and a "tower of blokes" competition
where the various teams clambered on top of each other to a height of three or four meters, finally sending a wee bairn up there to wave/fall off. The Sardona horns were relatively inexpensive but I think had double reeds like the oboe. Too much like hard work.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom