Tutorials

Reeds Fibrecel Reeds

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Yes. I used them for a number of years. Reliable and long lasting. I went back to cane reeds, though, when I got more picky about the sound. I didn't think that were as good in that respect. But it was pretty marginal.

OP
Der Wikinger

Der Wikinger

That has been my exact experience. When I started solo work with my horns, I HAD to go back to wood reeds. Still looking for a synthetic replacement though because the price of reeds is going through the roof! 2 1/2 Rico tenor reeds $ 6.50 each at my local retailer.

rhysonsax

I have played quite a few of the different synthetic reeds: Hahn, Hartmann, Bari, Legere and Fibracell.

The Fibracell reeds are on the bright side, but played quite well for me. They are more reed-like than the Hahn, Bari or Hartmann, but a bit buzzy. I think they miss out on the flexibility and tonal richness compared to the very best cane reeds but are a reasonable substitute with a fair number of advantages (play from cold, last a long time, few duds).

On SOTW, people have commented that the Fibracell reeds aren't as consistent as they used to be, but I have only played a few and can't comment on this.

Last week I bought a Legere Signature reed for tenor sax and that is easily the most reed-like in sound of any of the synthetics I have played. The softest reed that I could buy was a 3.0 but that feels a little too hard for me, so I have sent it back to exchange for a 2.5 (Legere offer a very good returns policy).

Hope that helps

Rhys

phooesnax

Had god luck on bari and sop....not so good on alto. I am told they are a new design with many detractors. last a long time and need no warm up. They feel like real reeds and do not get wavy on the end when they dry.... great for doubling.

Chris98

Last week I bought a Legere Signature reed for tenor sax and that is easily the most reed-like in sound of any of the synthetics I have played. The softest reed that I could buy was a 3.0 but that feels a little too hard for me, so I have sent it back to exchange for a 2.5 (Legere offer a very good returns policy).

Hope that helps

Rhys
Hi Rhys,

Where did you get your tenor sax Legere Signature reed from? Reeds Direct have me on a notification list but I've not heard anything from them yet and Reed Express haven't got any either.

Best wishes,

Chris

Andante cantabile

I use a Fibracel on the tenor. I find it is a real pleasure to play. The one I have now is probably a grade softer than I should have, but it works well. The reason for buying a soft one is that, when I am in doubt as to the comparison chart, I always go for the lower thickness.

rhysonsax

Hi Rhys,

Where did you get your tenor sax Legere Signature reed from? Reeds Direct have me on a notification list but I've not heard anything from them yet and Reed Express haven't got any either.

Best wishes,

Chris
Reeds Direct - not on their website yet but they do have them in stock.

I paid £16.90 ish but have just returned the reed for exchange with a softer one. Trouble is that 3.0 is the softest they currently have.

Rhys

Top Bottom