Tutorials

Reeds Fibracell problem

Pauline

Subscriber
Is anyone having trouble with Fibracells?

I've been using Fibracell tenor reeds for a long time now and have been very happy with them. A few weeks ago I decided my current one was getting a bit past it so ordered another one - I think it was from Reeds direct but I'm not sure. I asked for a medium soft and they sent me a Premier 2 1/5. I assumed this was a new way of grading and naming them and that it would be equivalent to the medium soft.

However........ I don't like it!

It sounds harsher somehow and I don't know why. Have Fibracells changed or is it something else. I've recently changed from a Jody Jazz HR mouthpiece to a Vandoren T45, could it be that? (though my old Fibracell is fine with the Vandoren). Maybe it needs "blowing in"?

Anyone got any ideas?

Saxade

Hi Pauline
Firstly I have to admit I don't know anything about Fibacells ( I use Legere ) but I would'nt think a 2 1/2 in a synthetic reed would be a "medium soft".
In cane "generally"I would call a 2 1/2 a medium, a 3 medium hard etc. I find that synthetic reeds play a little harder than their cane equivalents IE; A medium Synthetic I would get a 2 1/4.
Just my thoughts ;}

Adrian

Fraser Jarvis

Is anyone having trouble with Fibracells?

I've been using Fibracell tenor reeds for a long time now and have been very happy with them. A few weeks ago I decided my current one was getting a bit past it so ordered another one - I think it was from Reeds direct but I'm not sure. I asked for a medium soft and they sent me a Premier 2 1/5. I assumed this was a new way of grading and naming them and that it would be equivalent to the medium soft.

However........ I don't like it!

It sounds harsher somehow and I don't know why. Have Fibracells changed or is it something else. I've recently changed from a Jody Jazz HR mouthpiece to a Vandoren T45, could it be that? (though my old Fibracell is fine with the Vandoren). Maybe it needs "blowing in"?

Anyone got any ideas?
Hi Pauline, i know exactly what you mean about them, orriginaly i ordered a Legere signature from them....which never turned up so i asked them if they would let me have two Fibracell med-soft (what i am used to) instead, anyway they said yes but what i got was two Premiers in 2.5, which produce a completely different sound, far to harsh and buzzy for my liking, also i notice that after probably three weeks the backing is starting to bubble up which is't good, this happened on the med-soft but not for at least a year, i just hope they arnet fazing the old med-soft out and replacing them with the premiers!!!

B.T.W. I'm using a Guardala MB11 with mine...

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Ya cant wack a wedge of wood in ya gob for me.Never could get to grips with what i call placka reeds.Rico jazz select unfiled rule for me.After years of all the brands these take some beating.

Pauline

Subscriber
i just hope they arnet fazing the old med-soft out and replacing them with the premiers!!!

Fraser, that's just what I'm worried about!
It could be a bit of a pricey business if I've got to try to find another brand ....

Thanks for posting - at least I know I'm not imagining the difference!

daveysaxboy - I find all the faffing about with cane reeds just so depressing. The Fibracells have been so consistant up to now that I know if there is a problem with my playing then I can at least rule out the reed. They've always sounded good as well. Each to his/her own I suppose....:)

Saxade - yes I think the 2 1/2 is a bit harder than the medium soft but I think I can handle it. It's the harsher sound I really don't like.

Johnboy - is it possible to sand a synthetic reed? They do seem to have some coating on as my medium soft has bubbled slightly, same as Fraser's. It might be worth a try, nothing to lose I suppose. Thanks for reminding me about a mask! :welldone

johnboy

Hi Pauline,
Yes it is o.k. to sand Fibracells, I have done it twice, but it is very important to wear a mask. We don't know the materiels used, so play safe!!
This also applies to cane as well. We don't want to be breathing anything but clean air into our lungs.
Will PM you with my email address tomorrow, in case of any problems.

John.

Pauline

Subscriber
update

Well,
I sanded the Fibracell as per johnboy's instructions and .......
I now have a playable reed!

I was careful to use a mask as John warned me to, but then I remembered that the previous week I had filed all the glue off a broken chaise longue leg without one! :shocked: :blush:

So I have learned two things -
1) how to improve reeds
2) always use a mask!

Thanks John!

johnboy

Well,

I was careful to use a mask as John warned me to, but then I remembered that the previous week I had filed all the glue off a broken chaise longue leg without one! :shocked: :blush:

1) how to improve reeds
2) always use a mask!

Thanks John!

Pauline, I'm so pleased that it worked for you. A little patience makes all the difference. Maybe you could try with a cane reed?
A reed that matches the mouthpiece is easier to blow and obtain vibrato (ref. Hannibal Lecter), it will sound so much better and not annoy the neighbours!
Are you listening Sunray? (his neighbours are miles away!)

I've had too much booze today 'hic', so goodnight ;}

John.

Sunray

Pauline, I'm so pleased that it worked for you. A little patience makes all the difference. Maybe you could try with a cane reed?
A reed that matches the mouthpiece is easier to blow and obtain vibrato (ref. Hannibal Lecter), it will sound so much better and not annoy the neighbours!
Are you listening Sunray? (his neighbours are miles away!)

I've had too much booze today 'hic', so goodnight ;}

John.

But of course I am listening John ... I am always reading here to keep up with the antics you get up to ... :)

Hope all's well at your end ...

Your dead wrong about the neighbours though ... They all Left ages ago ...:w00t:

JB ... Regarding the Booze - don't go sleeping through and more gig's ... :)))

johnboy

But of course I am listening John ... I am always reading here to keep up with the antics you get up to ... :)

Hope all's well at your end ...

Your dead wrong about the neighbours though ... They all Left ages ago ...:w00t:

JB ... Regarding the Booze - don't go sleeping through and more gig's ... :)))

Things seem to have quietened down on the soggy reed front, the reed with plastic glue at the tip is still going strong and I don't have any more ideas about that. What I need to get the grey cells going, are some more non-standard problems. So come on guys help me out, otherwise the booze will win and I'll miss more gigs :confused:

johnboy

Hi Pauline,

What areas of the reed did you sand and by how much, does it have the same sound now as the med-soft?

Hold the reed up to the light and you will see a flame/bullet shape. Sand to maintain that shape, removing material from the sides (I curve round to the center as well, but that takes a bit of practice. DON'T GO NEAR THE TIP! only sand about 75% of the length of the machined area. Use an emmery board and sand away from the tip. Sand about 50 times a side back and forth before trying, I use 100 strokes to start with.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauline

Subscriber
Hi Pauline,

What areas of the reed did you sand and by how much, does it have the same sound now as the med-soft?

Hi Fraser,
I did what John says but I'm not sure I'm as skilled at it as he is. Yes, the reed sounds like the medium soft one I have although I have to say the med/soft is a bit old and worn.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again and may even have a try with cane reeds :w00t:

TomMapfumo

If you are now producing a muffled sound on the sax then you have probably still got the mask on................;}

3) Always remove mask before playing saxophone........

Pauline

Subscriber
If you are now producing a muffled sound on the sax then you have probably still got the mask on................;}

3) Always remove mask before playing saxophone........

Aaah, no wonder I had a few problems at the weekend, that explains it!
thanks Tom!
:)))

Grahame

Re: update

Well,

1) how to improve reeds
2) always use a mask!

Thanks John!

Hi Pauline - was just about to post about the bubbled up backing on a couple of Fibracell tenor 2's I have (sorry this is an old thread). One I'm still using, but it has bubbled a bit and I know that it will get worse. The other one bubbled and got so that I couldn't play it, so I stripped off the smooth backing on the bottom and it plays now but a bit too 'stuffy' for me. When you sanded the reed I'm assuming that you had peeled off the backing and sanded the underside - that worked?
Thanks
Grahame

Top Bottom