Tutorials

Ferling etude no. 8

Ne0Wolf7

I study from the "48 famous studies" book by Ferling and have recently begun, following the purchase of a cheap audio interface and changing my DAW to Cakewalk, enjoying recording more. So, I want to make recordings of the Ferling etudes as I study them.
I have unfortunately lapsed in my Ferling studies since I stopped getting private lessons about a month ago, so This one, no. 8, is actually the first one I ever worked on.
https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555%2Fferling-no-8 View: https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555/ferling-no-8

I wouldn't mind some critiquing, if you please, and thank you for giving me a listen.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Sounds good to me.
I couldn't play it, so I'm not in a position to provide critique or advice to someone who can.

Andante cantabile

You seem to have No. 8 well in hand. Thank you for the recording.

I have always wondered about how to play this one. It is marked Allegro moderato con fuoco. I tend to lean towards moderato, but it seems to me that you are emphasising the con fuoco. There may be a middle way.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Your articulation and control are exemplary---especially on the wide interval leaps. I like how the running figures are lightly played making them sound effortless. I have never played or even owned the Ferling studies, but I have heard them mentioned a lot in classical saxophone circles. My only other observation is that there didn't seem to be much dynamic contrast, but without a part in front of me I don't know what dynamics were marked in the music. Again, a very good job. I hope you record more in the future.

OP
Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7

I have always wondered about how to play this one. It is marked Allegro moderato con fuoco.
My book is marked for 12o bpm.

There are a few dynamic markings in my book, jbtsax, but I was so focused on the notes I totally missed them.

A youtube channel called DallasSax has recordings of all, if not most, of the ferling etudes, here is his number eight:
View: https://youtu.be/CQmdcN18CCo

vries1

If I may say so, I felt that the precision of the phrasing (timing) suffered a bit from the fast tempo you took. Articulation and tone were very nice.

Just to be clear, I am not at all at your level - so this is a bit of a “peanut gallery“ comment.

OP
Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7

If I may say so, I felt that the precision of the phrasing (timing) suffered a bit from the fast tempo you took. Articulation and tone were very nice.

Just to be clear, I am not at all at your level - so this is a bit of a “peanut gallery“ comment.
I find any comment useful. I think my timing issues were a consequence of holding notes for the wrong durations then trying to slow down or speed up to meet the metronome again.
I did it on the quarter notes tied to sixteenth notes a lot.

nigeld

Subscriber
Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure what my teacher would say:
"It's a study, so slow down and concentrate on getting it right rather than playing it at speed."

nigeld

Subscriber
A youtube channel called DallasSax has recordings of all, if not most, of the ferling etudes, here is his number eight:
I didn't much like that recording.
He has impressive technique, but it seemed to me that musicality was being sacrificed for smooth mechanical speed.

Top Bottom