All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

Ferling etude no. 8

Ne0Wolf7

I study from the "48 famous studies" book by Ferling and have recently begun, following the purchase of a cheap audio interface and changing my DAW to Cakewalk, enjoying recording more. So, I want to make recordings of the Ferling etudes as I study them.
I have unfortunately lapsed in my Ferling studies since I stopped getting private lessons about a month ago, so This one, no. 8, is actually the first one I ever worked on.
https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555%2Fferling-no-8 View: https://soundcloud.com/user-100691555/ferling-no-8

I wouldn't mind some critiquing, if you please, and thank you for giving me a listen.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Sounds good to me.
I couldn't play it, so I'm not in a position to provide critique or advice to someone who can.

Andante cantabile

You seem to have No. 8 well in hand. Thank you for the recording.

I have always wondered about how to play this one. It is marked Allegro moderato con fuoco. I tend to lean towards moderato, but it seems to me that you are emphasising the con fuoco. There may be a middle way.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Your articulation and control are exemplary---especially on the wide interval leaps. I like how the running figures are lightly played making them sound effortless. I have never played or even owned the Ferling studies, but I have heard them mentioned a lot in classical saxophone circles. My only other observation is that there didn't seem to be much dynamic contrast, but without a part in front of me I don't know what dynamics were marked in the music. Again, a very good job. I hope you record more in the future.

vries1

If I may say so, I felt that the precision of the phrasing (timing) suffered a bit from the fast tempo you took. Articulation and tone were very nice.

Just to be clear, I am not at all at your level - so this is a bit of a “peanut gallery“ comment.

vries1

And... I am afraid that "Dallassax" sets the bar very high indeed. He rips through the Ferling studies like there's no tomorrow - even on bari!

OP
Ne0Wolf7

Ne0Wolf7

If I may say so, I felt that the precision of the phrasing (timing) suffered a bit from the fast tempo you took. Articulation and tone were very nice.

Just to be clear, I am not at all at your level - so this is a bit of a “peanut gallery“ comment.
I find any comment useful. I think my timing issues were a consequence of holding notes for the wrong durations then trying to slow down or speed up to meet the metronome again.
I did it on the quarter notes tied to sixteenth notes a lot.

nigeld

Subscriber
Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure what my teacher would say:
"It's a study, so slow down and concentrate on getting it right rather than playing it at speed."

nigeld

Subscriber
A youtube channel called DallasSax has recordings of all, if not most, of the ferling etudes, here is his number eight:
I didn't much like that recording.
He has impressive technique, but it seemed to me that musicality was being sacrificed for smooth mechanical speed.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom