Tutorials

Felt pad fell off!

Fraser Jarvis

Playing my Super 20 tenor yesterday when suddenly the A and bis keys went hey wire, i had a look and it looked like something was missing between the two, and then i saw it......a little felt pad had fallen on the floor so I glued it back on were I thought it went......on the back of the A key touch.

Anyway it won’t play right now seems to jump octaves and bottom E wont voice right so I’m guessing ive stuck the felt back in the wrong place, can anyone confirm were it should go and what I may have done? BTW It was playing perfectly before the pad fell off.

Reed Warbler

Maybe it fell from the back of the front F? There's no felt on the back of the A key on my S.20. Hopefully someone more technical than me will have advice.

OP
Fraser Jarvis

Fraser Jarvis

Hi no definitely back of A key as I can see where it has touched the back of the key, guess it’s off to the tech to get sorted.

scotsman

Pop a leak light down and close the pads. That will tell you the problen.. BTW I use a LED strip light from a caravan shop as a leaklight .. Cheap and easy! Regards.. Hope this helps..

jbtsax

Subscriber
I second the recommendation to use a leak light. This can be a tricky area of regulation where the A touch needs to close the Bis, A, and C pads at exactly the same time---especially on older saxes that don't have regulation adjusting screws. If it is out of adjustment (regulation) I advise taking it to a tech.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Are you feeling any vibrations in your finger tips when playing those left hand stack notes ? - C#, B, A, G etc.
If so and you don't have a leak light try playing and use your right hand to tap close on all the keys above.
It would seem to indicate a little leak somewhere above G, and as @jbtsax says it's a tricky area of regulation especially if you don't have any regulating screws.

OP
Fraser Jarvis

Fraser Jarvis

Hi , just noticed all the replies and suggestions, thanks guys.

Although I am mechanically minded I’ve never liked to fiddle with saxophone’s so when ive got time its off to the tech.

Thanks again.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom