SYOS

Feeling Good

Martin

I just have to tell someone (everyone) how pleased I am feeling with myself after adjusting the mechanism on my ‘The Martin’ tenor.

Bottom B flat had been a bit hit or miss. Looking closely at the linkages I noticed that one of the pads that should be firmly closed for all low notes, was lifting imperceptibly due to a piece of felt in the linkage being too compressed. No problem I thought, and promptly replaced the offending piece of felt.

Tried the instrument and NONE of the low notes would work AT ALL! I had that sinking feeling in my stomach. What had I done?

Closer inspection identified how my one minor adjustment had upset another interconnected linkage. So I had to replace a little bit of cork and trim it to the appropriate thickness, to make things right.

Tried the instrument and WOW...clear, easily blown low notes...all of them! But wait a minute, what was that new vibration?

I tracked it down to the register key, right up on the neck, which somehow was now picking up a new vibration from the more powerful, clearer low notes.

So I took it off, bent the leaf spring slightly, increasing the holding down pressure a bit, and reassembled.

Now it blows more beautifully than ever and I’m feeling good!

AlanU

Yes, a very satisfying feeling.
It also gives one confidence to tackle other minor snags (without getting carried away, of course).

Then one day you find a poor old saxophone that is crying out for attention, and whoops, you've got your first re-build on your hands.
Great fun and extremely gratifying. Makes it a very personal instrument too.

Pee Dee

Well done! Elastic bands come in useful too, make sure you use the right colour though, I find blue ones best;}

Top Bottom