support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Favorite radio podcasts - suggestions?

Wow Lori, what a find! Just had time to listen to the first five minutes and that's enough to tell me I must hear it right through. Great to hear Eubie playing an talking and referring to people who influenced him like One Leg Willie Joseph.
On his 100th birthday Eubie is reported to have said that if knew he was going to live that long, he would have taken better care of himself!

Bit like the Jelly Roll Morton Library of Congress recordings with Alan Lomax. I must find time to hear those through one day.

Colin

Colin,

You can go back through the show's archives...listened to an hour of Elvis Costello hosting the show interviewing Marian McPartland about the history of the show.

I never saw the need for an iPod before, but I may have to reconsider and download these interviews so I can listen to them while traveling.

I'm glad you enjoyed the link - I'm off to look up those Alan Lomax interviews...

I used to be addicted to "morning becomes eclectic" from KCRW in California (not 100% sure it's pod castable but it should be easy enough to track down). Tom Waits, Beck, Manu Chao and numerous others doing the Djing

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Tom Waits, Beck and Manu Chao - my oldest daughter gave me Chao's latest release as a gift last year.

Here's a podcast link for KCRWs "Morning becomes Eclectic" www.kcrw.com/podcast/show/mb

Lori
You can get the Alan Lomax recordings from Amazon. Not cheap on CD - $85.98- as the whole is quite long, but MP3 download is $19.98 or individual 3 or 4 minute chunks are $0.99. I guess they were all made on individual acetate masters as they date from 1938. Be interesting to see if there is a podcast somewhere.

Well Damien will have a flag on his map now from just South of London here!
Cheers
Colin

Yesterday WKCR-FM (Columbia University - NYC) played a 24 hour birthday tribute to Ornette Coleman. Today, March 10 - an all day tribute to Bix Beiderbecke. Their daily jazz programming is excellent as well - free radio stream via the internet - fantastic!

http://radiotime.com/station/s_30119/WKCR-FM_899.aspx

Hi Lori
thanks for that. Have bookmarked it to come back to, looks like I might spend a little time on there, some pretty interesting stuff. Cheers!

Thanks Lori. I had a lot to do on the PC so I listened to several hours of it while doing so. Quite a treat and I had not heard some of the Paul Whiteman tracks before (although I don't know why they had to repeat Bix's solo spots six times over -perhaps because they were the most listenable things on them!).

I was reminded of Humphrey Lyttleton's shrewd observation that the many sax players who were directly or indirectly influenced by Frank Trumbauer's light precise C melody - Lester Young, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond etc, were also influenced by Bix's reflective style through his close association with Trumbuaer. Humph also wrote a lovely epitaph to Bix that justifies programmes like these:
"Like many other genuises in the creative universe, he flashed like a comet across the sky, leaving in his recordings some material evidence of the brilliance and magnificence of his passage".
Colin