Classical Faure - piece for oboe and harp

Mack

Locality
Devon
Ok, it's an oboe piece, but we all know that some unfortunate soprano players sound a bit like an oboe (helmet on, and take cover...) and I really just wanted to let you know about this superb record. It was recorded by Lajos Lensces on oboe, oboe d'amore and englischhorn, and Gisele Herbert on harp. It features some well known pieces by Faure and Satie such as the Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes, but also some less well known pieces by those composers, and also pieces by Koechlin and Pierne. All are transcribed for solo horn and harp and are beautifully played. The record is available on cd on amazon and I recommend you buy it and listen, preferably late at night with a decent whiskey or rum (not Captain Morgan, please...).

The record is called Musique De Nuit , ISBN 4009410974099

It'd work well and sound better on sop, but the oboe is too harsh for me to listen to when I'm sleepy.

My wife has a friend who's an oboist. I'm going to suggest they try this with the harp part played on guitar.

Nice find. ordered.

Last edited:
The record is available on cd on amazon and I recommend you buy it and listen, preferably late at night with a decent whiskey or rum (not Captain Morgan, please...).

On your recommendation I have ordered it but might have to listen with a brandy ;), will that be ok?

Jx

On your recommendation I have ordered it but might have to listen with a brandy ;), will that be ok?

Jx
On this occasion you have my permish. But do try a Kraken Black Rum some day. :eek:. Enjoy the record.

I do like a spot of oboe, particularly the baroque period.( Telemann especially )

I lost some 12 hrs of my life due to that Scottish Drink back in the 80s, a total blank from midday ish on a train back from Sheffield, ( drinking on the train, bad idea ) to midnight ish when I came to my senses, found myself wandering around Liverpool St.....hope I didn't do any murders or owt...

Baroque (period instrument) oboe is good - somewhat plangent in tone. The Bach D minor is good too

The oboe d'amore is worth a listen, fairly small repertoire as I recall, it sounds a minor 3rd lower than the normal oboe ...mainly will be found in period instrument performance, tho I believe Howarth's do a modern keyed version for 8 grand !

Just been listening with a coffee while I iron, not quite what was advised I know but I'm really enjoying it and when I can intend to pour a brandy sit down with the lights low and really listen thanks @Mack

Jx

Go straight to 5:08 if you want the full "Classic FM" experience, the beautiful adagio, which is how I came across it. I bought my wife a viola for her birthday, and I still look forward to us making beautiful music...

And yes, I know this is a violin piece, before anyone points it out...

And yes, I know it's also an oboe piece. But when you are looking for classical pieces to play on soprano sax it's a natural place to start.

And yes, I know it's also an oboe piece. But when you are looking for classical pieces to play on soprano sax it's a natural place to start.
But you have to make sure that your sop sax doesn't sound like an oboe because then you'd have an oboe piece played by something that sounds like an oboe.
And that would never do.

But you have to make sure that your sop sax doesn't sound like an oboe because then you'd have an oboe piece played by something that sounds like an oboe.
And that would never do.
Is there ever a need to play to play soprano with an oboe sound? I listened to my old copy of My Favourite Things the other day - couldn't bear it. Apparently Miles Davis gave Coltrane his first soprano when he left Miles' band. Wish he hadn't.

Is there ever a need to play to play soprano with an oboe sound? I listened to my old copy of My Favourite Things the other day - couldn't bear it. Apparently Miles Davis gave Coltrane his first soprano when he left Miles' band. Wish he hadn't.

It was probably Miles' idea of a joke - think on the bright side he could have given him a sopranino sax...:rofl:

or maybe some sort of a threat "If you leave my band John I'll break your legs or give you a soprano sax...":w00t:

Greg S.

Back
Top Bottom