support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

fake ads on craigslist?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Since i am after a tenor, I checked craigslist.
It seems the everyone in London is selling a mk VI for under 2k (try tenor saxophone as a keyword).

Did I miss something?

Yes, i started looking on there about two years ago for a nice MKV1, couldn't believe it, i think one was a 5 digit silver plated one for about £1300! turned out that the seller's only point of contact was one of those dodgy g-mail accounts and when i said i would come with the cash he told me i was more than welcome to but in fact the sax was on a remote Scottish island (i forget which one) but it worked out at a 600 mile hike plus short plane flight, and it would be far easier to just send up the money and he would then send the sax....yeah right!

Just don't believe it, nobody's stupid enough to sell a sax for 2k on one site when they can easily double that by selling it on another! those sax's just don't exist even the pictures are ripped off from e bay i remember one bona-fide seller on ebay who always took pictures of the sax he was selling resting on his wooden balcony, sometimes with snow, Canada i think....well these pictures showed up several times on craigslist from the "London" seller's!

"If it sounds to good to be true, i most definitely is" in this case anyway!

Agreed. These days eBay has a pretty poor reputation for being awash with dodgy dealers, but the likes of Craiglist, Preloved and so on are even more risky as there's virtually no control.

I recently visited craigslist and thought the same thing - very cheap MK VI's - was it too good to be true. I'm a cynic so I assumed it must be and didn't even waste the time contacting them to see, the information as to how much MK VI go for in general is too easy to find, and there are too many adverts at low prices to make it genuine IMO.

we don't have Craiglist in the Netherlands but we do have Marktplaats and every now and then there are ads too good to be true: I have tried to alert the site about this but they are not responding...... shame!

There was a murderer doing the rounds once on craigslist the "craigslist killer" i think he was known as, apparently he used to reply to the "personal" ads, meet up with the victim, then top them in their own home!
Another reason to avoid it...

And the Super 20 is in Shetland.

Plenty of good instruments in that area!
Aren't they rusty with that constant horizontal drizzle?

I flagged the gumtree ad, so that link is useless.

Butt googling the text of an ad, apparently helps finding out if it is a fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame he is on the wrong side of the pond. He has an YTS 82Z for sale that would look perfect in my hands.