All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Fair warning Christmas is coming.

navarro

Hi Ladies and Gentleman of the forum. I am going to cast aside my Scrooge apparel and will donate to Mr Thomas`s charity £20 as the first prize for the winning entry in A CHRISTMAS STORY COMPETITION ( If this is allowed under forum rules.) to be judged by myself and one other.

For obvious reasons the stories will have to be short and written in English and include in the script the following words `Plum Pudding. ` ` Ghost or Ghostly. and finally He`s a larf innee? Not difficult but challenging.

Entries not before December the first and the competition will close on December the seventh. Entries after this date will be null and void unless your geographical location is out of sync with GMT.

Kev, can you let me know if this causes any problems as far as the Breakfast room is concerned.

Plagiarism will not be tolerated and my fellow moderator is a member of `The Friends of Charles Dickens Strange Sounding Names and Really Bleak Scenario Society.` so entrants you have been warned.

Regards, Not the little prize turkey:the big one ? N.

What

I would be interested in giving it a go. I tonic that this topic appears as I watch the "Doctor Who" version on Netflix.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Great idea and having read some entertaining posts on this forum, I'm sure there will be some worthwhile entries.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I like this sort of thinking.

I need to pass it by Pete, but as the prize goes to the charity, it should be OK, unless there's something I've overlooked.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
As Pete's given it his blessing, I'll match Navarro's prize, also to the charity.

navarro

Great idea and having read some entertaining posts on this forum, I'm sure there will be some worthwhile entries.
Hi Sue I`m sure you can come up with a real Christmassy tale Lincoln is quite atmospheric with it`s Christmas Market and Cathedral Etc. Regards, Spend your summer vacation in Lincoln not on some sunny Mediterranean beach. N.

Chris98

Hi Ladies and Gentleman of the forum. I am going to cast aside my Scrooge apparel and will donate to Mr Thomas`s charity £20 as the first prize for the winning entry in A CHRISTMAS STORY COMPETITION ( If this is allowed under forum rules.) to be judged by myself and one other.

For obvious reasons the stories will have to be short and written in English and include in the script the following words `Plum Pudding. ` ` Ghost or Ghostly. and finally He`s a larf innee? Not difficult but challenging.

Entries not before December the first and the competition will close on December the seventh. Entries after this date will be null and void unless your geographical location is out of sync with GMT.

Kev, can you let me know if this causes any problems as far as the Breakfast room is concerned.

Plagiarism will not be tolerated and my fellow moderator is a member of `The Friends of Charles Dickens Strange Sounding Names and Really Bleak Scenario Society.` so entrants you have been warned.

Regards, Not the little prize turkey:the big one ? N.
Just seeking clarification on above rules, but before I get onto that, I must ask... is this competition in anyway associated with the CaSLM? If so, bribery is the easiest and safest way to win this competition.

You mention the beginning and end dates, but alas fail to mention the year, as I am sure you can appreciate for the highly competitive and unscrupulous sax player, this is legal hole so big Taz can swings his baritone through it.

You also make the request for it to be written in English, one presumes the Queens English, with correct punctuation and use of capitol letters where appropriate... and yet you insist on us throwing in "He`s a larf innee?" which under your strict rules would disqualify us in a trice.

All joking aside, I think this could be good fun and I look forward to reading the stories.

Best wishes,

Chris

For general information:

For those of you who are not familiar with the CaSLM please be aware that this is a semi secret group, some members are known, some are unknown and some are only suspected. There are many known knowns about their activities and many unknown knowns, some of which they think are unknown but are in fact known. I suggest if you wanted to dig deeper you need only type CaSLM into the Breakfast Room search box.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
As the Constitution of the Croydon and Sarf Lundun Massive contains all three phrases, may we enter it, please?

navarro

You also make the request for it to be written in English, one presumes the Queens English, with correct punctuation and use of capitol letters where appropriate... and yet you insist on us throwing in "He`s a larf innee?" which under your strict rules would disqualify us in a trice.:

Thanks Chris for pointing out those, what I thought were very clever deliberate mistakes lulling the unwary scribe into a feeling of false security, thus leaving the gate open for me to award the title to my third cousin who had been listed for the Booker Prize but was ousted when Martin Amis complained that his name had been used falsely on my cousins entry form.

I have now `Let go` my entire legal team who produced the rules and regulations including the rather pert legal assistant whose rendition of `Diamonds are a Girls best friend.` dressed in blond periwig and gown at our annual Christmas bash sent the whole Torts and Contracts department in a right tizzy. (Ladies excluded,I think.) Regds Lawyers Sawyers. N.

PaulM

Quote: and use of capitol letters where appropriate... :
From my vantage point here at Pedant's Corner, I spy a subtle Navarro ruse to disqualify the unwary.

Capitol is almost exclusively used to refer to a building, usually the building in which a legislative body meets. For instance the US Capitol is the building where the Senate and House of Representatives meet and Capitol Hill is the hill upon which the building sits. Capital on the other hand is quite another matter and our government would be dead chuffed if they had rather more of it.

So, to avoid disappointment make sure your submissions contain at least one reference to the Houses of Parliament. You have been warned.

old git

Tremendous Bore
From my vantage point here at Pedant's Corner, I spy a subtle Navarro ruse to disqualify the unwary.

Capitol is almost exclusively used to refer to a building, usually the building in which a legislative body meets. For instance the US Capitol is the building where the Senate and House of Representatives meet and Capitol Hill is the hill upon which the building sits. Capital on the other hand is quite another matter and our government would be dead chuffed if they had rather more of it.

So, to avoid disappointment make sure your submissions contain at least one reference to the Houses of Parliament. You have been warned.
Is this a blatant attempt to persuade competitors to include cash with their entries?

If so, Paul M, unless the CaSLM gets its cut, you are on the Hit List as we've already concluded negotiations with Nav.

Chris98

Hi Paul,

I do appreciate your appreciation of the use of 'Capitol' rather than 'Capital' as being more than a simple typo, but might I suggest looking a little closer to home, in a musical sense that is, Capitol Records!

...with misdirection and a bit of googling I think I got away with that one!

Best wishes,

Chris

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom