All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

SOLD F/S Interesting Low B foot Flute with an even interesting story

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
Let me start saying that I am asking 600€ shipped from the Netherlands for it. The flute comes in a case and needs an overhaul. 30€ will go to the charity.

Ok, this flute has an interesting story to go with with it.

This is a flute with no other indication than MOORE VI, no serial number, offset G, closed keys, Low B foot with gizmo and an headjoint with a butterfly and the name “ Berdien” engraved on it.

I wasn’t sure at first but because of this name it might have been a flute that once belonged to a famous Dutch flutist, Ms. Berdien Stenberg (she became famous in the ’80 with a pop number based on a classic piece by Saverio Mercadante called Rondò Russo. She went on producing a number of easy listening pop numbers more or less loosely based on classical pieces and produced albums with Richard Clayderman, James Last and Jaap van Sweden).

I wrote her and she indeed kindly confirmed that she had owned this flute when she was a student at the conservatory (late ’70) in The Hague and that she sold it at a certain point of her career because she wanted to buy another flute but couldn’t keep such a valuable flute together with her new flute.

She told me that to her knowledge it is a Jack Moore, solid silver (although it has no hallmark) flute with a custom made and engraved headjoint.

This flute only has the name Moore and the Roman numeral VI ( which could be the equivalent of a serial number VI of a series of XX or MOORE?) .

I have emailed several times the very kind Ms. Marilyn Moore and Mr. Jack Moore, they have patiently and kindly answered my questions about this flute.

Mr. Moore cannot remember making this flute but says too that he cannot absolutely be certain about it, although he usually put his full name on it and the location where he made flutes at the time and marked his flutes with a serial number.

Mr. Moore is an elderly gentleman and has has had a very long career in flute making.

Nevertheless this is a solid silver flute and some other experts have identified this as being an early Heritage flute.

So, could this have been made at Armstrong when Mr. Moore was still there or when he had just left the company?

The Butterfly engraving and the name of the original owner engraved on the Headjoint ( Berdien for Ms. Berdien Stenberg) might be a later addition but the name Moore and the Numeral VI have been carefully hand engraved on the flute.

Moore_3_zps64aa7205.jpg~original

Moore_1_zps54e83844.jpg

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
OK, for the sake of information.........

First of all there are a couple of people interested in the Netherlands.

Today I got an e-mail from famous Dutch player, Wout van den Berg, he too was in the 1972-73 at the Hague conservatory and acquired or was given a similar flute (only with his name on it) by Professor Alexander Murray.
He said the flutes were made for him by Moore and engraved by Albert Cooper (how good a pedigree can a flute have?)

Alexander Murray was a big name in the world of flutes at that stage.

Alexander Murray confirmed today that these flutes were made for him by Jack Moore.

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
this flute has sold, locally, in the Netherlands. Someone got a flute that should have been 3 times as much for a song :), thanks for watching

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Thank you for the update and the interesting story about the flutes :)

Jx

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
Cheers! I have to add that after emailing Jack Moore, he remembered that he made several flutes for Alex Murray and then Murray said that he had them engraved.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom