Tutorials

F# and below just won't stay in the low octave

xav

I have been playing Saxophone for a decent amount of time and would say I have a relatively full sound all over the Tenor Sax's range. However, if I begin to blow starting on any note below low F# (it seems to me, any note involving the F key) the tone begins at the octave above and, with an adjustment of my mouth, cracks down the octave. With some extremely careful concentration and extremely slow attack on the note -or a tongue slap- I can sometimes avoid this but it is just massively more difficult than landing the F#. Is this poor technique? It seems that extremely precise technique can make the issue less noticeable but should it be this hard?

Greg Strange

Welcome from "The Tron"...

Maybe a leak in the bottom end of the horn, considering the F key is used for playing low F to low Bb. Are the lower notes hard to play? Get a leak light (in my case a mini-mag light at the end of a lump of string) and see if all the pad are closing properly from the top of the horn to the bottom of the horn. When was the last time your sax was serviced? Any decent sax repair technicians in the Shaky City?

Good luck and happy honkin'...

Greg S.

saxyjt

Sorry to point my nose in your southern affairs, but beware that these horns are like babies and shouldn't be shaken! :rolleyes:

If symptoms continue after you tech visit you may consider moving to stable grounds... Or discuss countermeasures with Bay Area or Japanese players who experience similar issues.

Make sure you check leaks in the dark. Too bad you don't have Ikea in NZ, they have a led stick (LEDBERG) that's great for this. But I guess you have alternatives.

Greg Strange

Sorry to point my nose in your southern affairs, but beware that these horns are like babies and shouldn't be shaken! :rolleyes:

If symptoms continue after you tech visit you may consider moving to stable grounds... Or discuss countermeasures with Bay Area or Japanese players who experience similar issues.

Make sure you check leaks in the dark. Too bad you don't have Ikea in NZ, they have a led stick (LEDBERG) that's great for this. But I guess you have alternatives.
After the Christchurch earthquakes of 2010 and 2011 and the latter one killing 180+ people the Christchurch area for the next 12 months experienced something like 30,000 aftershocks according to some so-called experts so it is probably not a good idea to keep your sax or other musical instruments out on a stand - in the case is a good idea if not playing.

You are very astute my French friend that Ikea has not officially infiltrated the NZ market place although some Ikea products are sold by The Warehouse - where everybody gets a bargain and another privately owned store in the Auckland area. Ikea have threatened they will set up a New Zealand operation next year but I presume Ikea will have to work out where NZ is or if we actually exist...

Actually I'm not particularly worried about this oversight and nobody knows where NZ is because over the last decade or so New Zealand appears to be overrun by Chinese, Russian and US billionaires trying to set up residence here in the case of a nuclear war in the northern hemisphere...have fun...

Greg S.

saxyjt

I knew about the tragic hearthquake but not that there were so many aftershocks. I have a brother in California that experienced a serious earthquake many years ago in LA and I lived in CA myself so I know a few things about these.

About Ikea, my wife dragged me there on Saturday and I had to spend time working on the aftermath... Preventing me from practicing as I intended after a week away from my base. :confused:

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Just to add to the above (depending on how old your sax is, usage, care, etc.): if you discover a leak, check what the cause might be and what best to do about it. I'd have no idea so I prefer to take mine in to my local repairer. Usually, a 2 minute adjustment solves the problem. The last time (a month ago) it turned out that my top 3 pads were cracked/chipped and needed replacing.

Mike
I have been playing Saxophone for a decent amount of time and would say I have a relatively full sound all over the Tenor Sax's range. However, if I begin to blow starting on any note below low F# (it seems to me, any note involving the F key) the tone begins at the octave above and, with an adjustment of my mouth, cracks down the octave. With some extremely careful concentration and extremely slow attack on the note -or a tongue slap- I can sometimes avoid this but it is just massively more difficult than landing the F#. Is this poor technique? It seems that extremely precise technique can make the issue less noticeable but should it be this hard?

Top Bottom