All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Sheet Music Extremely handy website for Standards

jbtsax

Subscriber
Thanks for adding that resource. It appears to have a lot of useful information about such areas as jazz theory, practicing tips, and ear training as well. Another resource that fits well under this topic heading is this one: Jazz Standards I especially like how on many of the songs it gives a recording and a brief history as well.

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Thanks @jbtsax. This looks to be another great resource! When I clicked on the linked, the 'video playlist' happened to show a live performance by Pat Metheny (guitar) and Nils Landgren (vocals, trombone) of 'My Funny Valentine'. Since one of my Big Bands started playing this a couple of months ago (with a hauntingly expressive performance by our vocalist that still leaves me spellbound each time she sings it), the song immediately became one of my all-time favorites (in any genre). It's a song that's been performed many performers/bands in many ways.

The Pat Metheny group - way back in 1978 at a small club at the Molde (Norway) jazz Festival - were (for me) the first jazz group who made "jazz" sound modern, fresh, surprising, exciting and boundless. When I first heard the Pat Metheny group play, I suddenly realized that "jazz" wasn't about re-interpreting past standards or conforming to any style. For me (with my limited exposure to jazz) he broke the mould. I followed him, avidly bought the group's first 3 or 4 albums and - as these things happen - gradually became less enthusiastic about the direction he was taking and moved on. But I've always dipped into his work from time to time. I loved the concerts that brought all my 'musical heroes' together: Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius and Michael Brecker. I liked his live "Fragile' video.. I loved a lot of his solo performances. I love Bob Curnow's L.A. Big Band arrangements of Pat Metheny's compositions. I've missed a lot.

So a special thank you for this link, it gave me the opportunity to watch and listen to my (still) favorite jazz guitarist playing acoustic to the subdued but expressive vocals of Nils Landgren and ditto trombone solo.

I touched my heartstrings and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably not to everyone's taste ;)

s
Thanks for adding that resource. It appears to have a lot of useful information about such areas as jazz theory, practicing tips, and ear training as well. Another resource that fits well under this topic heading is this one: Jazz Standards I especially like how on many of the songs it gives a recording and a brief history as well.

Saxholder Pro
Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom