All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Excercise update

jeremyjuicewah

Hope its of interest. Judging by response to last excercise thread dont think a lot of people do them, but of course I could be wrong. Yesterday the wife said to me after evensong "youre really sounding better now. Your notes are all finished nicely." Hadnt said anything to her but have now been at the excercise regime (see Taming the Sax) for just ten days. Excercise 1 just 10 times, three times a day. I will start the other two now. Now my breathing feels easier during the excercise, its natural, and I am aware of my lower stomach muscles for the first time in forty years. Also I can hold a lung full of breath with my throat open for about fifteen seconds. Couldnt manage two when I started this. When I am practicing I now mostly do remember to breathe, deeply from the bottom of the lungs, and its not a thing I have to concentrate on too much. Havent got it all right yet but am really impressed with the difference this excercising has made. Some of it is just being more aware when practicing but for five minutes three times a day its a great return. Also the long note practice warm ups posted by Tim. Every session now I do them. It does pay to listen to the advice of people who have already been there and done that. Just posted this for anyone who needs to do the excercises but isnt sure its worth it. It is.
Mike

Little Oaf

Just posted this for anyone who needs to do the excercises but isnt sure its worth it. It is.
Mike
Thanks for this encouraging and motivating post! I probably dont spend the time I need on exercises, I'm afraid i've always been impatient with whatever I have been learning, always wanting to 'jump straight in'; I am practising a few music pieces that I enjoy playing but can see now where getting the basics of breathing and tone etc are the foundations of being able to play a piece not just to get through it but to play it well. I dont have the Taming the Sax book just the usual beginners book, wasnt sure whether it may be too advanced for a beginner? what do you think?

Just recently I have met up with a fellow sax player who I met my chance in one of my locals! He's been playing for around 5/6 years and to cut a long story short, we got together the other night for a bit of a 'jam'. Whilst he is far more advanced than myself, it felt good to play along with someone else and pick up some new tips. He can do all the 'twiddly bits' as I call them and it is interesting to hear a straight piece of music being played around with. We have planned to meet up again, time permitting, so it has given me something to aim for too; we even thought it would be good if we could get a couple of duets together to play down the local, not sure when that will be though lol!

Amanda

jeremyjuicewah

Hello Amanda. I dont have the book but when my card is settled this month I will buy it. You can get lots of great snippets from it by clicking on at the top of (I think) the homepage here, or google it. I have found useful and interetsting stuff in all areas. I dont think a book like this can do any harm whatever stage you are at. It might even help by diverting you from bad practice. Its great that you are playing with someone else. That is something I must must must do, I believe its the key to getting somewhere. I have been a solitary guitarist for years and years and I do believe its the main reason why I am not as good as I should be for the work and effort I have put into it. Practically zero performing experience. Its not going to happen with the sax. Good luck.
Mike

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The book's a little advanced for beginners, that's why it's vol 3. But there are lots of good exercises you can pick out from it. It's jam packed with all the necessaries that you love to hate! Probably more appropriate for people with a year or more of learning.

Vol 1 & 2 haven't arrived yet.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom