support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

EWI Tryout; St. James on Bandoneon

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Locality
Netherlands
Hi all,

I finally got around figuring out how to get as less as possible delay when playing the akai EWI USB in mixcraft.. It's now at its lowest at 3ms which is quite doable.. The Akai software isnt much compatable with Win8 as I understand, and the software isn't much anyway, so I used Mixcraft 6 which has a lot of midi sounds in it..

https://soundcloud.com/koen-bidlot/ewi-tryout-st-james-bandoneon

so after toying around with it, this is the result! I chose the bandoneon as this is a bit more forgiving as i'm struggling to emulate normal articulation as you would expect from a sax or flute.

St. James is a song I can play by ear.. but I couldnt remember the head correctly so its mostly a full improv..

(take 4 or 5 might I add.)

any comment is welcome! let me know what you hear, can you hear that this was played while blowing through an instrument rather than a MIDI keyboard? (I'm curious!)

regards,

Koen

Very French. Never tried 1 of them My mate has 1 and said its crazy. Fancy a try of his after hearing you. Good take.

Davey thanks for the compliment.. I can relate to the french feeling, but an EWI besides the Seine isnt as romantic of a sight as a real bandoneon ;-)

Nice sound, is there any way of altering the dynamics a bit more? (Then again, I'm not sure that you can do that on a bandoneon!)

The vibe reminded me of Minnie the Moocher, you could have a go at that :)

thanks for the compliment Timbo!

mixcraft doesnt detect pressure variations, the ARIA software from AKAI is supposed to but I cant use it properly on WIN8. it's possible to change dynamics in mixcraft and I did.. but it hasnt as much effect as live playing.

and I think bandoneon's do have a dynamic range this is acheived buy pushing in harder/faster or slower/softer you can control the amount of air that get put through.

and Minnie the Moocher is indeed an excellent song! thanks for the tip, its now on my to play list ;-)

Back
Top Bottom