All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Wind Controller EWI question - MIDI

OP
K

kr236rk

Not all USB HOST TO MIDI CONVERTERs are USB 'A' socket however, many seem to have the 'B' socket only,

Vetinari

Does the EWI have a type B (the square connector)?
If it does, then you will need a cable like those used for older usb printers, i.e. type B was for the printer end and a type A was for the p.c. (the host) end.
If the converter has a B type, then that is probably to connect the converter to a p.c.

Vetinari

Have you used midi connection cables before? If not then please note, not all 5 pin din to 5pin din cables are suitable for midi, the pin to pin connections are different from audio stereo din to din. I fell foul of that when I first started using midi.

If you already know this please ignore my ramblings on this subject.:)

OP
K

kr236rk

Thanks. The EWI has the 'B' socket with a USB cable coming out of it and terminating in an 'A' USB plug, which is designed to plug into a computer. This also means the EWI can plug into the Sleepers module, if only I knew how to hook that module to my synthesizer, I still don't. The Sleepers unit can do 'do stuff' that a straight usb-to-midi conversion cannot.

Vetinari

Looking at pictures of fh-1 on the thomann site, there does not appear to be any midi 5 pin output sockets

Vetinari

Just been reading about fh-1 on learning modular.com , it looks hellish complicated, it seem to be for connecting to a complex modular synth system.

David Roach

Looks like it is. The Kenton USB MIDI Host MKII has 5v power at the USB port, because - after reading up on the devices that they suggest to use with it - it is compatible with devices that are not externally powered, like this one:

https://files.keithmcmillen.com/downloads/quneo/QuNeo_FullManual_1.2.4.pdf

See page 6 of this manual where it says:

"MIDI Expander (optional)
Connect QuNeo to our KMI MIDI Expander (sold separately) to control MIDI hardware
without a computer. Power is supplied to QuNeo from the MIDI Expander’s power port
when the MIDI Expander is plugged into a power outlet."

Thus, I would logically expect that it would do the same job for an EWI USB.

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Looking at pictures of fh-1 on the thomann site, there does not appear to be any midi 5 pin output sockets
Yes it does on the other side:

Not cheap and may or may not solve the problem at hand.

Vetinari

Yes it does on the other side:

Not cheap and may or may not solve the problem at hand.
Fh-1 is not the one in the pic you quoted.
There is a other pic of the back of the excel valley .

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Sorry, bout that! At any rate, the description of this one looks like it's made to do the job at hand, but as they and you've all said, that can vary with each instrument and they are all made for keyboard instruments, apparently.

Vetinari

@randulo , no probs with your post. This can be a problem with midi. It's awkward until you get the bits in your hands and play with them.

:( A couple of weeks ago I threw a Yamaha cbx-t3 synth module in the bin by mistake.:eek:

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
I have a WX5 and a VL70m. I should look into selling them, because they're taking up space on the desk. But at least there is a MIDI output and a power in socket on WX5.

OP
K

kr236rk

Couldn't get a straight answer from the FH people, they just said to read the manual & watch the videos. All I want to know is how to plug the thing in?

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
Have you had a look at the Kenton box?
It seems to do what you want

https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

and it's made in Angelterre ;)

P.S. " . . . Patchman Music have tested this device with the Akai EWI USB and the Roland AE-10 / AE-10G Aerophone wind controllers and they worked great! . . . "

Last edited:
OP
K

kr236rk

Found quite a lot of detail about fh-1 on Learningmodular.com
If you discover how it actually plugs in to a modular synthesizer please let me know - this is the sticking point. If I obtained the FH-2 I wouldn't know how to attach it to my synthesizer. There is also a MIDI breakout which compliments the FH-2 but, again, precise details on how everything connects up are not apparent, as far as I am aware. I believe the FH-2 has now succeeded the FH-1.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom