All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Evette brand opinion?

Grand Master Sax

Locality
Maine, USA
Hey all,
I was recently looking into buying a tenor sax, and am choosing between two 600 dollar options, a Evette 116 and a Bundy. I know Bundy has a good reputation as a student sax brand, and I have store tested both saxophones and found them satisfactory at the least. I know very little about the Evette brand though, only that it is French. Any opinions? Thanks!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Evette was, probably still is a brand of Buffet Crampon. Evette Schaeffer was originally a french maker, but got taken over. For a long time the brand has been used as a badge for saxes bought in from other makers. afik, all new Evette's are, like most saxes, made in the far east, probably China. No idea on quality.

Locality
australia
maybe try adding a few more bucks and buy a student model yamaha....they are great saxophones and good for resale when you up-grade,etc...
cheers,philip

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Personally I wouldn't sink $600 into either of those. In my experience Bundys are awful, and Evette has such a variable history I couldn't be sure what it actually is. What I'd suggest is that, if you cannot decide what to buy, you take an impartial experienced player with you for a second opinion on anything you're interested in. If that's not possible, as already mentioned, go for the safe option of a Yamaha "student" model - YTS21/23/25.

Disclaimer: This is my view, other opinions are available.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom