All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Evening from the Isle of Wight

wren

Hi, I have just found this group as I have decided to get my saxophone out of storage and learn to play it properly! :)
I'm a bit of a collector as I also have two clarinets, a guitar, a penny whistle, a recorder, two ocarinas (bought for the children) and a flute! I can play the clarinets, recorder and penny whistle reasonably well, but I'm a total beginner on everything else.. I also have two small children, so not much time! Hubby has a really good ear and I'm trying to encourage him to learn the clarinet... (he can play guitar)

Justin Chune

Hello wren, welcome to the cafe. Learning the sax after the clarinet should be easy for you. Have fun.

Jim.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe Wren:)

I have many fond memories of the IOW

Jx

navarro

Hi wren, welcome to the cafe you will have great fun and lots of useful advice. Regds N.

wren

Thank you! Actually, I need some advice already! I got my sax out of its case and had a good look at it last night and the top two bigger pads have mould on them! Sob! I don't know how that happened, I always dry it really well after playing and put a sachet of those drying crystals in the sax when I put it away. My only thought is that the kids might have possibly spilt something in the case without me knowing as the nice padded neck strap is also missing from the case and I only have the not so nice one... Hmmm... So the question is, can I just clean the sax somehow and replace the two mouldy pads or do I need to replace all of them? And can I replace them myself or is it too fiddily?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi from me too. Should be able to clean the pads with lighter fluid. Always a good idea to leave the case open to allow the sax to dry out completely. When you get the good strap back, don't hang the kids with it....

wren

Posted and introduced myself... And then ran away for four months.. Hmmm .. It's been a hectic mad summer shall we say... I'm back now, so hello again on another evening still on the Isle of Wight :)
Is there anybody else on here from round these parts? I have a lovely group of friends I can play my clarinet with but they would probably lodge it in some part of my anatomy if I turned up with my sax! (They prefer quiet instruments like clarinet, flute, oboe and er, bassoon!)
I've taken over the spare room (much to hubby's annoyance) with all my instruments (2clarinets, sax, flute) and machines (2sewing, 1serger,1knitting) and I'm going to put a lock on the door so I can dry the sax properly and leave it on its stand safe from little fingers. The clarinets seem to be fine, no sign of any damp problems but maybe that's just from having much more practice drying them and having those fluffy sticks stuffed inside. The flute is impervious to any moisture since I took it completely to bits and removed all the (totally disintegrating) pads!
The silicone sealant pads I made didn't work so well, I think my silicone was far too sticky, i couldn't smooth it with my finger at all and had to use an old clarinet reed :) so I may have to buy some different sealant or bite the bullet and buy some silicone pads. Has anybody else out there tried replacing/making pads out of silicone for any instrument? Or do you all think I'm completely bonkers to attempt it? I'm pretty good at taking things to bits and rebuilding them (the flute was fun, kind of like a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle) but the first time I tried making pads out of silicone I seated the keys back on way too soon and the silicone was still too soft and the key holes made too deep indents in the silicone and didn't seal properly when dry. The second attempt I left them too long and put too much sealant in the keys and they were too high and not soft enough to press together and form a seal. Slicing off the excess with a knife once it had dried didn't work either. But before anyone rips me to shreds for dismantling a flute - it only cost me £10 ;-)
I found the good sax strap and it is safe back in the case :)
And the little darlings are thriving...

Hal the Elder

Welcome, Small Bird!

The Clarinet is OK, but being a cylindrical bore, it overblows to the Twelfth, not to the Octave like the conical-bore Saxophones do.

Ahhh...but Hubby can still have fun playing in the Chalumeau register!

Look at Clarinet Superstar Acker Bilk...he rarely crosses the break! He stays where its mellow, as in "Stranger on the Shore".

I have a Licorice Stick, but like Acker, I keep it in the low register!

Oh yes...as a practical alternative to fooling around with silicone, etc, have you ever considered a musical instrument Repairman?

They may seem expensive, but they are always, ALWAYS worth it!

HAL

Last edited by a moderator:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I've poften wondered about silicone and other rubber pads.

Not sure if it's worth it - I'm pretty sure that it won't last anywhere near as long as good quality traditional pads. You can't adjust it to cure small leaks and I thnik it's denser than a normal flet pad, so it'll affect playability.

wren

Welcome, Small Bird!

The Clarinet is OK, but being a cylindrical bore, it overblows to the Twelfth, not to the Octave like the conical-bore Saxophones do.
But that's what makes it more fun! Well, more of a brain stretching exercise, at least. I like playing the high notes (when I have practiced enough to get up there ;} )

And music repairmen are too expensive for a flute that only cost me £10! If I got it done professionally I'm not sure the value of the flute would equal the amount spent on it's restoration.. hubby won't even let me buy a case for it :(

Thank you for the welcome back :)

Wren

wren

I've poften wondered about silicone and other rubber pads.

Not sure if it's worth it - I'm pretty sure that it won't last anywhere near as long as good quality traditional pads. You can't adjust it to cure small leaks and I thnik it's denser than a normal flet pad, so it'll affect playability.
There seem to be two types, some that are just silicone that you glue in and some with a cork backing that you seat with the traditional shellac. The pads that were in the flute were completely worn out, skins cracked, peeling and quite a few completely gone with just the felt underneath. No idea who had replaced pads on it before I got it but when I removed them (by heating each key with a heat gun) I found some had paper shims and shellac underneath and some were glued in with God only knows what but at least two other types of glue... I was kind of hoping that if I could get it right on my flute, I could then replace the worn out pads on hubbys clarinet (which does play, but badly needs repadding) and my own clarinet. (These are both student models). The sax would definitely go to the proper repairman though! I am all for saving money and enjoy a challenge but I wouldn't risk messing about with my sax!
So as far as the flute goes I am in two minds, whether to buy some silicone pads or just get some fish skin ones and try to DIY. This guy seems to think it is possible for anyone to do it, but then, he is selling them! http://www.shopforband.com/flute_pad_installation.shtml.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Real flute pads are very cheap. Suggest you get some (check sizes) and use them. If the cups and tone holes are level/flat and correctly aligned, very little pad adjustment is needed. You do this with paper shims under the pads. You can check the sealing with either strips of cigarette paper, strips of cellophane, or a leak light. Aim to get the same grip between pad and tonehole all round. And make sure they close all round at the same time. (Not back first, pad is too thick or fron first, pad is too thin.) Thinner pads can be shimmed all round with thin card to bring the thickness up a little.

You also need to check the regulation carefully - basically this means getting the keys that should close together, to close simultaneously. On most cheap, modern flutes this is done with adjusting screws (often well hidden), but on some/better flutes it's done with paper which you glue on and then sand down. JL Smith in the US has most/all of what you need and will ship internationally quickly. They also do a simple, but good book on all the jobs you'll probably do. It's a part of their flute kit, but also available separately.

http://www.jlsmithco.com/

johnboy

Hi Wren, and a big welcome aboard.
I'm sorry I missed your first, I was up at Newport for most of the summer? without my laptop :(
I keep and sail my boat from the "Odessa" boat yard, and spent from mid June 'till last week sailing and propping up the bar at the excellent "Newport Ale House".
As you know they call the I.O.W. the musical island and I had the pleasure of meeting some of the guys. One of my favorites was a duo called "Switch", and I sat in with them one Sunday afternoon at the Ale House.
I didn't have my laptop with me, so I missed everything that was going on and must apologise to Filton for not being able to contact him for a meet at the "Folly".
I will be back next June, and look forward to doing it all over again (boozing and sitting in with some more bands).

John :):);}

wren

I know the Odessa boat yard! Hubby had a friend down there living in a canal boat! Actually I think his name was John too...? And I keep walking past the Newport ale house and telling myself I must check it out :)
Having small children has prevented us from getting out much till lately, definitely time to go out more now they can cope with a babysitter ;)

johnboy

Hi again,
Yep the Ale House is very comfortable (like someone's front room) and very friendly (5 barrels of real ale, the strongest of which is 7.2% :w00t:). Debbie and Mark run the place at the weekends, so if you pop in, please say that Carole and John say hello!
Now, back on track.
I think that Kev's advice about JL Smith's kit, is very good and will save a lot of frustration!!!

John :):);}

Taz

Busking Oracle
Welcome to the forum Wren, I have fond memories of playing at the Shanklin theatre earlier this year with one of my Pink Floyd bands. We had a superb welcome, so good in fact that we'll be returning on the 15th February!

littleplum

Hi Wren

I busked in Ventnor and Newport whilst on Holiday this year, and also took part in the Ventnor fringe. Loved it and booked again for next year.

regards

Dave

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom