support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Eurovision Song Contest.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Noticed that there was a mention of Eurovision Song Contest Semi Finals on the Beeb. Rendered me nauseous.

As a relief, started to think about non existent but potentially horrific recordings.

My suggestion is The Dagenham Girl Pipers, or am I the only one who remembers them, and the Vernon Girls performing "The Girl from Ipanema" in the style of Getz.>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Please post your nightmares and award up to five ">:)" as a warning.

Prof's pretty well right. It's been so bad for so many years now. There was a rumour round the Beeb that they would pull out if Sir Terry retired. In fact Graham Norton has turned out be almost as cynical and sarcastic about it all. It was quite amusing when,over 30 years ago, I watched it in Copenhagen while living in Denmark, knowing the folks at home were also watching it live. It didn't make it any better though.
The European Broadcasting Union does a huge amount of unseen good work (much of it technical) and it's a pity that the song contest is it's best known public face.

I haven't watched the actual singing for decades, but the voting has always been compulsive viewing.
The game is to guess who France & Gerrmany will give their points to, to avoid giving GB any.

Best misprint (around 30 years ago) advertised it as "The Eurovision Snog Contest".

Eurovision Song Contest.

I reckon OG needs to be sent to jail for a few months for bringing it up ...
>:)

Or a total ban from this nice place ... :rofl: :happydance:

Sorry OG but you know we mustn't use bad language here mate ... lmfao :D

I've never understood the appeal of so much 'musical' drivel. Haven't watched it since I had to cos my parents watched it and by staying quiet I got to say up later. Every time I hear it's on again, I feel like crying.

Kev,
You're getting confused in your old age, there was not a television service in 1853.

I've never understood the appeal of so much 'musical' drivel. Haven't watched it since I had to cos my parents watched it and by staying quiet I got to say up later. Every time I hear it's on again, I feel like crying.
Same here. It sticks in the throat a bit to consider how much of my license fee the BBC is spending to send Wogan or Norton there to tell me it's a load of rubbish. Like I wouldn't have noticed for myself...

I think its an absolute and surreal hoot - this year featuring a bearded transvestite Austrian apparently. Way more entertaining than yet another interminably bleak drama about rape and murder filmed mostly in a Scandinavian turnip field in winter.

Although to be fair I couldn't take a whole evening of it......
Made me laugh out loud!!:rofl:

Kev and BigMartin...............lighten up guys! You cannot keep all the people happy all of the time.
Sorry, I just don't get it. If I want a laugh I'll watch something funny and well done, like a Laurel and Hardy movie. Where's the pleasure in seeing resources blown on a load of tawdry rubbish? It's as if the BBC are laughing at me, rather than vice versa.

Last edited:
I don't watch it but I have friends who have a Eurovision party every year (fancy dress). I always make sure I have a prior engagement! I used to love it when I was a kid/teen though and I think my earliest recollection is Puppet On A String - happy days :)

Something like a sort of "It's a knockout" set to music.

If a camel is a horse designed by a Committee, the Eurovision Song contest is a torment envisaged by a gathering of sadists. However, if people enjoy it good luck to them - but I hasten to point out that I get a coffin-dodgers TV licence so I have no axe to grind in this respect; I would hate to think I was paying for it!

Dave

Yes, it's interesting. It costs a miniscule amount of the BBC's budget (even TV let alone the whole BBC budget). On the final night there are no UK production costs (a good reason for not winning and having to host it next!) and there is just the live voice-over. There are a few shots of the host city done sometime before (but even they are probably done by the host and shared for local voice-overs). While I don't think it has much cultural or artistic merit, there are many BBC home made productions that must cost substantial chunks of the budget that I consider have just as little merit and I would much rather see axed.

There is a somewhat curmudgeonly feel about the BBC and their licence fee within several of the posts. The Euro Song contest is one heck of a catalyst.

I think we are naturally cynical about such things, in complete contrast with the Spanish who are true eurovisionaries. A few years ago I was in a quiet Madrid café with my daughter, and Eurovision was on TV in the corner with nobody watching. All of a sudden the café filled with loads of people just in time to watch Rosa, the Spanish entry. Hysteria and community singing ensued for 3 minutes. Then they all went out again. Next morning at a street café I asked my daughter what the locals were talking about at the next table. She said they were all discussing very seriously why on earth Rosa didn’t win.

Back
Top Bottom