All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Eureka moment

thesaxman71

What is different? it sounds just like most other sound clips posted on here so what was the "eureka moment" and what did the "penny drop" about?
was it something in the recording tec, something in the playing, something in the approach/mindset?

Last edited:

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I can relate to that. Nice tone, nice flow, sounds like you are in da groove. Not sure the bent notes are needed though, or the extra embellishments but maybe that's just me.

Jamesmac

What is different? it sounds just like most other sound clips posted on here so what was the "eureka moment" and what did the "penny drop" about?
was it something in the recording tec, something in the playing, something in the approach/mindset?

Perhaps it's the accented off beats. As Paul plays it. I once heard a young guy play this outside A big shop in Oxford St in London. He played the quavers like dotted quaver semiquavers. Sounded really odd. Some would probably say he played it in a classical style, but it actually baffles me when I hear something like that. Because it takes more work and control to play it like the theme from the apprentice. ( or the entrance in the Russian Opera Romeo & Juliet) probably I'm just a lazy classical player.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I don't get the "when the penny drops" part.

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
I don't get the "when the penny drops" part.

I guess Bear meant, it all fell into place, we were all speaking of take five a while ago, some of us have got it, others have not, you know, that flutter- as opposed to take four..

Jamesmac

I'm not sure what the great moment was , perhaps we will hear from the man himself, and clear up this conundrum , but I thought it may have been the very Desmond like accents in a piece that is totally associated with the Legend, and the feel of getting close to that is no real mean feat. We can hear all sorts of interpretations of this song, from jazzers to the unfortunate youth I heard in Oxford St. But there is one thing for sure if you play Take Five. your ver. will always be compared to the great Paul Desmond. :)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Finding a way to write the backing track with BiaB and getting a flavour of the original by bringing the instruments in one by one and then playing the alto to find on playback a hint of something I've been aiming at for ages. I think it could get quite good with a little practice. Can't wait to busk it. If it ever stops raining.

zelda

On the border
Locality
British Columbia interior, Canada
Very nice. I can't play it yet but I've certainly listened to it closely dozens of times and your take has the same feel to it.

thesaxman71

P.s. Sarcasm is the lowest form, but then probably expected from an over inflated ego. Don't start me off!!:old:

Where is the sarcastic post and over inflated ego? i find it odd that you think someone has been this way. Reading all the posts til now and I still do not see any of the above that you suggest by anyone. strange, maybe we read into things different.

clarification: my post here and my earlier post on this thread (and in general) are genuine questions or statements and not meant sarcastic or egotistical in any way.

@colin - Thank you for clarifying, I understand now, it is in the tec your eureka moment, being able to dig right into the making of the backing track and getting to grips with it in biab, yes, that is a good feeling and allows a lot of musical freedom knowing you can reproduce and make your own backing tracks to the spec you want.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
I know exactly where your coming from it's just so difficult to get it right and that sounded spot on to me ....John

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I think the penny droping was also the realisation that it's in Ebminor. I've always just played the head and learned the notes off the record. I rarely play in flat keys on the alto so polishing up my C minor helps with the improv. I busked it today. It seemed to go well. A couple of fluffs but that's normal for me lol

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Geez Colin. You have just given me a "Well Duh" moment of my own. I have played the tune for 54 years in D minor beginning on F#. I even learned it off the LP "Time Out". Maybe my turntable was a bit slow, I don't know but I thought that was the key it was in. I checked it on YouTube and then in my Real Book, and you are right. But you know what, at my age I ain't gonna change. Learning it a half step away is more than my old grey cells can take. :) But thanks for setting me straight on that.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom