support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ethiopian Jazz!

TomMapfumo

My new discovery of this week is happening upon the world of Ethiopian Jazz, and my two most recent musical acquisitions -

The Very Best of Ethiopiques (2CD)

Mulatu Astatke & the Heliocentrics (1CD 2009)

Lovely tour through the history of Ethiopian Jazz in the former (Fez AND Shades required) and the latter featuring one of the elder statesman of that genre, a 67 year old who frequently used to hang out with John Coltrane and Duke Ellington, amongst others, and formed the Ethiopian Quintet in 1963. Well worth looking into if you fancy something new.

Fascinating Stuff:w00t:
Kind regards
Tom:mrcool

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Saw the Ethiopiques a glastonbury festival a couple of years ago. Some beautiful stuff in their set, very lovely and different 'sound textures'. I didn't really get the cultural mix- the core of the band seemed to be a bunch of rather academic looking American guys with the obviously Ethiopian players only appearing half way through the set..... a great day on the jazz stage- Tinariwen followed by the Portico Quartet followed by the Ethiopiques

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Hi Crown...!

Not aware of the band you mention above - the "Ethiopiques" I refer to is a recording series of authentic Ethiopian musicians from the 1960's onwards. I obviously haven't done sufficient research but at least it raises the topic and promotes clarity;}

All the best
Tom:mrcool

OP
TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo

Hi The Crown.....!

The band "Ethiopiques that performed at Glastonbury in 2008 are simply described as a loose collective of Ethiopian musicians, many of whom appeared in said series of records (41 at time of going to press). The mystery, therefore seems to be about these American "twonks" that you describe in your initial post - were they a warm-up or similar (who knows/cares:shocked:)

Anyway I may work through the set over time - some lovely sax amongst other instrumentation!

Night night
Tomski:mrcool:w00t:

Top Bottom