All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Essex boy with The Horn

knoodle

Trevor James that is!

Hi, I'm Gary

I have been noodling around on the saxes on and off since the mid 90's. I started on alto and then after a windfall managed to purchase a new Yamaha alto and soprano saxes. Then my house got burgled and I had to start from scratch nut thankfully my insurers covered me. I bought a Yanagisawa S901 and a Yamaha YTS-62 tenor only to realise a few years later that I desperately missed my alto . I scratched together some cash for a second hand TJ Revolution II and that is pretty much what I am playing now.

It seems odd that I have these beautiful and expensive instruments gathering dust while i am playing a sceind hand student model but I'm not complaining as I'm lucky to have 3 horns.

I wish I could find more time to play but I'm studying through Open University for a degree and I have a 2-year old son so it's tough at times.

My favourite players - Art Pepper, Maceo Parker, Bird, Andy Sheppard, Courtney Pine, Soweto Kinch

I often read posts on the forum that come up from Google searches so I thought it was about time I joined.

Glad to be here

navarro

Hi Gary and welcome, I`m a Pepper enthusiast but Mr Pine not for me. I think it`s because I do not like his incursion into Hip Hop and Rap, but there again what do I know, maybe his music is just to diversified for a Pepper and Parker man. Best regards. N

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe Gary :)

I've been listening to a lot of Art Pepper recently and very much like what i'm hearing :) one of my faves being 'Ballad of the sad young men'

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Knoodle

Welcome to the cafe nice set of horns you have keep on knoodling and always remember TOWIE.....John

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Gary,
I'll pm you with my address so that you can send your unwanted instruments where they will be loved and cherished.
Nice to meet you.
Andy

breathless

Hi Garry, its all new to me! only started 3 weeks ago but loving it!

what Art pepper album would you recommend? I dont have any Mr papper but would be good to get one!

Rgds Lee. Also in Essex!

TomMapfumo

Well I was in Essex from 1981 - 1987 (Romford, Maldon & Earl's Colne), before coming back to Wales in 2002.

I am an Alto player when it comes down to it, too! I hope you have a great time as a member of Cafe Sax, and look forward to hearing your various contributions. A Big Welcome, then, from the Skabertawe Lites, down by yer in Wales, mind!

Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

:))):))):))):))):)))

Pyrografix

Senile Member
I've never been to Essex! But welcome from the other end of this wonderful country.

Cheers,

Amanda

knoodle

Hi Lee,

thanks for your reply. My favourite Pepper album is "The Art of the Ballad" as I can actually play along with some of the songs but for some more up-tempo stuff then I would definitely go for "Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section"

I was a very lucky man one birthday as my wife bought me the 5-CD "Hollywood All-star Sessions" which is just superb and shows the range of Pepper's talents.

Tadpole

Welcome, knoodle I have been off site for a while,but just got back into it. I am also a Pepper fan and just purchased The Essential Art Pepper, for my iPod, 50 great tracks for 4.99' heaven! You should check out Derek Nash, Plays Alto with Jules Holland amongst other things, the Mans a genius! And he's English and he's alive! But seriously , he is a great player, and as I said, a genius, if he can't do it on Sax then it can't be done, bit like Pete really. Anyway, keep on keeping on, I've been doing it for 40 years now, and I never want to do anything else!(playing sax that is).

knoodle

Yes Navarro, Mr Pine does seem to split opinions. His music was actually responsible for getting me into jazz as I heard one of his early recordings on the radio in the early 90's (It was a reggae-like track called Kingston). From Pine I progressed to listening to older recording artists then finally discovered Art Pepper when a very kind fellow at the Southend Jazz Co-operative recorded a few cassette tapes for me. I had found my favourite artist. His biography was quite an eye opener too.

I still like to see Courtney live though - he puts on a great show.

knoodle

Thanks for the reply Tadpole. Jools and his orchestra came to Southend a few years back and played at Priory Park so I went along and heard Derek Nash - amazing. They also had Rico Rodriguez who got up and sang the sweetest song. What a great day that was.
Was Derek Nash involved with Sax Appeal - I seem to remember his name coming up before?

TomMapfumo

Well, I've just put Pepper's "Rhythm Section" on - to see whether I can actually gain something from the experience. Just looking at the Swansea Jazzland programme I just realised that I missed Gilad Atzmon & OHE this week, but Matt Wates appears shortly with Derek Nash and others (Sax Appeal) so will get there somehow!

I must admit Art Pepper sounds too dated for me, and losing interest gradually. Martin Speake is getting ready for a burst.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom