support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Erik Satie and Me

Composer of the week Satie? Good ideas but not sure about the timing in a few places. Where the Piano already has played the note the late entries seem, well, off. Some fine other lines that compliment and work extremely well. I think the idea good where you're playing against and complimenting, but not trying to play the melody against the piano with off timing. Worthy and worth giving another go as you sound good, just not entirely consistent.

Composer of the week Satie? Good ideas but not sure about the timing in a few places. Where the Piano already has played the note the late entries seem, well, off. Some fine other lines that compliment and work extremely well. I think the idea good where you're playing against and complimenting, but not trying to play the melody against the piano with off timing. Worthy and worth giving another go as you sound good, just not entirely consistent.

Thanks Wade - I agree. Maybe I should go straight into the improvisation and forget about the melody. I wasn't trying to play it with the piano but more like what Tommy Smith does on his fabulous recording with Murray McLachlan. Lacking a tame pianist who can play like that, I just played over an exiting piano recording with a tempo and feel that I like.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst agreeing mostly with Wade, I do have to say that I like you playing the melody; your tone suits the composition very well. It would be nice to have a piano arrangement for you to play over that isn't playing the melody itself, but as a guide and an idea, I very much like it Rhys.

The quarter idea is also a nice one, although I feel there isn't enough contrast dynamically and in the parts to keep interest until the end of the piece, but that's just my opinion :)

Thanks for sharing!

I really love the album that Tommy Smith did of mainly classical tunes, especially his playing of some pieces by Erik Satie.

I have done two version of Satie's Gnossienne No. 1, first soprano sax over a proper piano recording: https://soundcloud.com/rhysonsax/gnossienne-no-1-piano-and-sop

And also a saxophone quartet: https://soundcloud.com/rhysonsax/gnossienne-no-1-sax-quartet

Rhys
A very nice a sweet 'atmospheric' sound you got there on this recording, the whole piece and tone sounds very good indeed.