Er...Help?

Amaranth

Went to Band practice tonight and some bright spark suggested substituting the Harmonica with my Tenor Sax on "Meet me on the Corner" (Lindisfarne?).
How on earth willl I go about this?I have listened to the You tube offerings and not come up with much tbh.
Help?
Please?

Aly

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
ouch- can't see this one working on a sax, probably best get a blues harp and wing it on that.... Really can't envisage it beig tenor friendly.
Only thought- I heard an alto player (actually Jody Espina of Jody Jazz) once emulate bluegrass fiddle by very precise rhythmic timing and 'surging' attack, that type of thing might be useful- but is a very 'non-standard' way of playing sax.

Moz

Went to Band practice tonight and some bright spark suggested substituting the Harmonica with my Tenor Sax on "Meet me on the Corner" (Lindisfarne?).
How on earth willl I go about this?I have listened to the You tube offerings and not come up with much tbh.
Help?
Please?

Aly
Dull, repetitive song, so play dull, repetitive notes on the sax and probably no-one will notice, or even care, that it's not a harmonica. I have thought of a way to make the song interesting though and that's to bang ones head on the table in time to the 'music' until the song finally dies (or you do whichever is the more preferable to you). ;}

Moz (not a Lindisfarne fan)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My only thought on this is blow, don't blow and suck like you do on the harp. And getting both hands around the instrument is going to be difficult unless you buy a sopranino.

OP
A

Amaranth

Ha Ha ha!! :))) - thanks guys for cheering up a rainy Friday morning :)
I'll work out something based on the Guitar tab, I suspect it's more a case of taking over the singer (he can be a bit er quiet & flat) so the pub doesn't doze off ;)
Thanks
Aly

Young Col

Slightly off thread Aly, but "rainy Friday morning" was a bit of an understatement. Went up to the NEC B'ham today via M40 and I've never driven through Oxfordshire in so much rain and mist. The spray's always worse on the motorway, but that was not fun! (Coming back tonight was much better until we hit the M25 traffic and rain - should have stoped at a nice pub we found once at Wendelbury and arrived at M25 later!).
Colin

Moz

Ha Ha ha!! :))) - thanks guys for cheering up a rainy Friday morning :)
I'll work out something based on the Guitar tab, I suspect it's more a case of taking over the singer (he can be a bit er quiet & flat) so the pub doesn't doze off ;)
Thanks
Aly
You have a singer who is quiet AND flat? Well that's lucky, he/she could be LOUD and flat and then everyone would notice! :eek:

OP
A

Amaranth

Slightly off thread Aly, but "rainy Friday morning" was a bit of an understatement. Went up to the NEC B'ham today via M40 and I've never driven through Oxfordshire in so much rain and mist. The spray's always worse on the motorway, but that was not fun! (Coming back tonight was much better until we hit the M25 traffic and rain - should have stoped at a nice pub we found once at Wendelbury and arrived at M25 later!).
Colin
Red Lion?
Good find :)
Just found out that some bright spark (who will be hung drawn and quarterd) has posted a snippett on Youtube... Grrr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRow3_3ZzRk

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Aly
That's it, Red Lion. We'd been to an old friend's funeral in Northampton about a year ago and decided to come back via the factory outlets at Bicester and stop for dinner. That was a rainy night too! Nothing in Bicester we liked so we drove on and found Wendelbury by chance. Friendly local people, good ale and good food. I'm always happy to recommend good eating pubs!

Your drummer looks a cool guy!

Colin

OP
A

Amaranth

Aly
That's it, Red Lion. We'd been to an old friend's funeral in Northampton about a year ago and decided to come back via the factory outlets at Bicester and stop for dinner. That was a rainy night too! Nothing in Bicester we liked so we drove on and found Wendelbury by chance. Friendly local people, good ale and good food. I'm always happy to recommend good eating pubs!

Your drummer looks a cool guy!

Colin
Drummer was not the usual one - just a really cool guy who occasionally picks up the sticks or a Guitar on a Thursday - it's often a good night :)

dooce

Dunno about the drummer but the singer looks like Paul Weller on a pie diet. Shame the clip wasn't longer - not bad at all :)

OP
A

Amaranth

Dunno about the drummer but the singer looks like Paul Weller on a pie diet. Shame the clip wasn't longer - not bad at all :)
Thank you :)
I'm safeish hiding behind my "Bah Dumps" with the odd wail ;)

Just realised that that dull tune bears a marked resemblance to Streets of London - good grief I'm ageing with every Bar!

OP
A

Amaranth

Done it - stuck a backwards half Chorus in as Intro, dull droning (I mean melodic undertones) through two of the (seemingly endless)verses, the odd accent note or two on the Chorus and another piece of Chorus as Outtro.
Will try it tomorrow at practise and if it doesn't work well I'll just sit at the bar instead ;)

Top Bottom