All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Envy, anyone?

dubrosa22

Kind of like playing a front-end loader!

Geez, just the brass in those keys cups could make ten altos! :w00t:

milandro

for some strange reason Brazil seems to be home to TWO makers (j'elle Steiner & Lopes) of all manners of Bass and Contrabass saxophones (this one being a " compact" subcontrabass ).

Why would anyone produce some of these horns capable of extremely low (and harmonically unpleasant sounding notes.......lower than D the other notes sound almost the same and I doubt anything remotely fast could ever be played ) is beyond my understanding.

I much prefer the way more expensive Eppelsheim instruments which are way better in terms of sound AND of mechanics.
The older style low saxophones were very nice too.

flutes too......

Anyway the super low sound is not limited to woodwinds

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Like the subcontrabass recorder! I have played in a group with the one that is one size down from that - and even for that which is not as big as this one is megabucks - I think it cost the guy £8k - so heaven knowns how much that beast would cost!

milandro

all of these are very expensive and , in my opinion more valuable for the freaky aspect of their gigantism rather than their real usefulness in musical terms

TomMapfumo

Baritone is quite bad enough - the sounds up above do not fill me with joy, interest, or anything remotely positive.

So, not particularly envious, and would rather get a sopranino IF I had to go towards either extreme!

milandro

sopranino is cute but it is very difficult, I am struggling right now with it

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
sopranino is cute but it is very difficult, I am struggling right now with it
Funny, I tried Gladsaxisme's sop and nino. I found the nino easier. Another sop I had at home for a week or two was tricky until I sorted the leaks out, but I guess that isn't the case for you. I did find some of the notes tricky, though - really different to blow. .

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Baritone is quite bad enough - the sounds up above do not fill me with joy, interest, or anything remotely positive.

So, not particularly envious, and would rather get a sopranino IF I had to go towards either extreme!
Funny, I'm completely opposite (well almost). I much prefer the tenor/bari to the higher pitched saxes, but don't have a lot of interest for lower pitched saxes. However I'm starting to appreciate the alto a lot more now that I've been playing a Morgan 7L on it. And despite it's age, the keywork is much better than my tenor. Just needs a repad, then it may take more precedence for me.

milandro

well, breath control is tricky and the production of the higher notes is tricky too, especially the high C (not side) because it has the whisper key that is so tiny and might clog with condensation.

Soprano left palm keys are tricky too (need much more mouthpiece) but on the whole I am better at that.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom