support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Englishman In New York.........

Nice concept using the two horns and excellent production values. Great playing as usual. Slight problem at 2:13 where the rhythm didn't quite match. Really like the ending with the sop carrying on. Great control.

Strange the rhythm here sounds very nice.I cant hear anything wrong.Must be your ears need checking Wade >:):))):))):))) enlighting me please

Hey if this is what you wanted and you are happy with it then doesn't matter what I think. To my ears the rhythm shifted and seemed out of sync just at/after 2:13. It didn't fit with what was happening before or after. It's just a comment based on listening. I can only listen through my ears and that's what I heard. It's no biggie, so no need to get upset. If you'd rather I didn't comment on your posts just say so. No problem.

Hey if this is what you wanted and you are happy with it then doesn't matter what I think. To my ears the rhythm shifted and seemed out of sync just at/after 2:13. It didn't fit with what was happening before or after. It's just a comment based on listening. I can only listen through my ears and that's what I heard. It's no biggie, so no need to get upset. If you'd rather I didn't comment on your posts just say so. No problem.

Wow calm down.1st things i put some humour in my reply.2nd i only asked for you to enlighting me to your findings.For a man who's very forth right and finding fault or telling people they should or should'nt with most posts it seems you can give but not take it.I as normal had a laugh at your reply like i try to in all my posts.I dont take myself that serious and like you if i dont agree to a reply i say so but in a nice manner .Theres ways of saying things and theres ways of telling people they should and should not or this is wrong and thats wrong.I'm atad stunned at your reply Wade.

Nice track. You're putting out some nice sounds. It comes accross as quite a professional recording through the pc speakers. I like the two sax thing. I've been having a go at that myself, with varying degrees of success so I know how hard it is. It gets a little complicated in the break at 2.13 with the change of rhythm, but your timing is bang on to my ears. Is it Fields of Gold next?

Match and sandpaper you two....

I don't usually comment critically on these postings, but I agree with Wade, There's a slight pause, then you come in, straining, don't hit the note, but hiccup, and it seems as if the straining upset your rhythm a touch. You recovered in a few seconds once the pitch came down a touch.

Nice track. You're putting out some nice sounds. It comes accross as quite a professional recording through the pc speakers. I like the two sax thing. I've been having a go at that myself, with varying degrees of success so I know how hard it is. It gets a little complicated in the break at 2.13 with the change of rhythm, but your timing is bang on to my ears. Is it Fields of Gold next?

Theres a sample of Fields of gold on the other soundcloud which i'm starting to do just for clients for weddings to checkout
www.soundcloud.com/smooth-sax

Match and sandpaper you two....

I don't usually comment critically on these postings, but I agree with Wade, There's a slight pause, then you come in, straining, don't hit the note, but hiccup, and it seems as if the straining upset your rhythm a touch. You recovered in a few seconds once the pitch came down a touch.

:))):))):))):))) i have to laugh aloud :))):))):))):))) thats what i heard,thats what i played,thats my sound,style,thats what i wanted and did.Nice to hear i was straining,well thats called using my chops to get that effect.dont hit note :))):))):))):))) i hit what i wanted to hit.Things on here are getting rather critical and intense i think :shocked: once again theres saying its not to your tastes but getting told i done this then recovered is rather funny :))):))):))):))) ya got to laugh.I'm just glad i've never been that serious about sound clips.Its all about sharing and giving help,support.Wait there i need another laugh :))):))):))):)))

ps ,hiccup, thats funny

Nice playing Dave. Good and imaginative way to use your array of saxophones!

Ah, the controversial 2:13 mark.....Hmm....
Between 2:13-2:31 the rhythm isn't very good and it's obviously throwing you off.
I can't really hear it in detail because you're blowing over it, so I counted out the rhythm, as in
conducting it with swings of my hand...(Down-to the Right-swing to the Left-back to Up position)
It's just not a good modulation. It compromised the 4/4. Once that modulation cleared everything fell back into place and you responded as you rhythmically should.

If you could present the track with no sax, then we could estimate the smoking gun.

Dave, you really don't feel you were on rhythm do you? Don't take this personal because it's how we're hearing it.
As I once mentioned we have to keep balance with the good and bad and treat them as equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice playing Dave. Good and imaginative way to use your array of saxophones!

Ah, the controversial 2:13 mark.....Hmm....
Between 2:13-2:31 the rhythm isn't very good and it's obviously throwing you off.
I can't really hear it in detail because you're blowing over it, so I counted out the rhythm, as in
conducting it with swings of my hand...(Down-to the Right-swing to the Left-back to Up position)
It's just not a good modulation. It compromised the 4/4. Once that modulation cleared everything fell back into place and you responded as you rhythmically should.

If you could present the track with no sax, then we could estimate the smoking gun.

Dave, you really don't feel you were on rhythm do you? Don't take this personal because it's how we're hearing it.
As I once mentioned we have to keep balance with the good and bad and treat them as equal.

This a fast becoming a total circus.Since when in jazz type playing do you have to play strictly on ANY beat,2 WORDS...SONNY ROLLINS.The master of rhythm.Now your asking me to put up the backing track !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW.What has happened to this forum.I played the way i play,period.Now in this thread i've been told a bunch of stuff,yes told.Am i talking it personal,simple 1 is no,never.I just keep shaking my head laughing aloud.I'm not a swing player,i'm me and i do what i like.If people dont like it i dont mind them saying its not there sound,taste or bag but when i'm getting told i've done this and that and i know i wanted that i will say it in a nice manner.A few posts above i said things are getting way to serious on here.

Not sure who is overreacting to an overreaction. Mike and I have often had discussions (over the years) about how difficult it is to have written communication where a face to face would have left no doubt about the meaning and intention of each person's communication.

All I'm getting from you now is the same as what you said before. You intended what you played. Fine. It's no biggie but you seem to be digging your heels in. Seems like you're telling us that it's not OK to comment if we hear something different. Well that brings us back full circle. Yes we can all just pat each other on the back and tell each other how great we are.

I'd love to see each person who posts be specific about what they want from others: admiration, compliments only, help, critical review, etc. We each have our own reasons for posting. I reply in a manner that I would want others to reply to my posts but respect when others don't seem to want feedback. My reason for posting is simple: I want to see how others react and if there are problems to hear what they are so that I can take these on board. For me this = potential growth. I live and work in an isolated environment and play with a few individuals, but don't get a wider base of feedback that could give me more information.

In your case Davey you have probably played in many situations over a number of years so have developed your style and may not care what anyone else thinks. That's fine. Just let us know that you only want to "share" and not receive critical comments. I'm sure that everyone will be fine with that.

This is over reacting i thought.As said and i'll say again,things on here are getting way to serious.I will agree with you in the fact that i only really care what i think and like.I've paid some hard dues to be a good player and have a good sound ,not great by a zillion years,never will be as i have other important things in my life.I started it all off in humour in my replys then againg was told what i did wrong,see a pattern here.You should know me by now,if i dont agree i will mention it.

Dave, I can't help but feel that you're looking at this as a 'coup d'état...lol
You're a wonderful saxophone player who obviously has a love of heart and passion
with each note you play. That's clearly evident. You've shared such an array of tunes for any of us to listen to.

The odds are they all cannot be to everyone's liking. The percentages for that to happen
are not realistic. Who here likes everything some Pro player did? The math predicts that the percentages vary way too much. That's the reality when we deal with subjective listening.
When we expose more and more tunes, our percentages vary because of volume. In other words we then become subjected to more scrutiny because of the percentages. If someone is willing to put out so many tunes, then along with that agility you must keep an open mind that now your altering those percentages to work in a way that doesn't always reflect praise. In other words now you're being confronted with human nature at work!

I'm not sure why you feel a need to defend your position when it's clearly evident that the track isn't very good and it threw you off. Why defend the track?
As I said it's easy to go along when our playing is praised, but when something is not liked, it's too commonplace for the musician to become defensive and that's the real test of a musician who simply let's it roll along right along the praise. Man, accepting praise is too easy!

Dave, this is about mathematics.
Nothing happened to this forum. You were just expecting everything to come out as praise, I'm assuming. How could you possibly know any one of us in an intimate way to sitpulate that there is something inherently wrong? It's not a realistic way to judge the forum. You ,ust always go under the premise that you must always expect the unexpected because that's exactly the reality of posting on an internet forum.

Dave, I can't help but feel that you're looking at this as a 'coup d'état...lol
You're a wonderful saxophone player who obviously has a love of heart and passion
with each note you play. That's clearly evident. You've shared such an array of tunes for any of us to listen to.

The odds are they all cannot be to everyone's liking. The percentages for that to happen
are not realistic. Who here likes everything some Pro player did? The math predicts that the percentages vary way too much. That's the reality when we deal with subjective listening.
When we expose more and more tunes, our percentages vary because of volume. In other words we then become subjected to more scrutiny because of the percentages. If someone is willing to put out so many tunes, then along with that agility you must keep an open mind that now your altering those percentages to work in a way that doesn't always reflect praise. In other words now you're being confronted with human nature at work!

I'm not sure why you feel a need to defend your position when it's clearly evident that the track isn't very good and it threw you off. Why defend the track?
As I said it's easy to go along when our playing is praised, but when something is not liked, it's too commonplace for the musician to become defensive and that's the real test of a musician who simply let's it roll along right along the praise. Man, accepting praise is too easy!

Dave, this is about mathematics.
Nothing happened to this forum. You were just expecting everything to come out as praise, I'm assuming. How could you possibly know any one of us in an intimate way to sitpulate that there is something inherently wrong? It's not a realistic way to judge the forum. You ,ust always go under the premise that you must always expect the unexpected because that's exactly the reality of posting on an internet forum.

So once again i'm getting told the track threw me off !!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont think it did.So your saying i have to agree with you, Wade and Kev because you say so.Now thats being silly.My glasses must need cleaning because i keep reading my end what i did wrong.I'm saying i played what came,i like it and dont agree with your findings.Whats not simple about that.Theres been many times people have said IMHO ,or i think or not my taste and thats great but again,hey this is getting boring now when i'm getting told in a blunt way i did this wrong or that wrong because you or someone else thinks its right i will say so.Again how simple is that.

Back
Top Bottom