support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces End of tenor mouthpiece GAS?

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
I counted up what sort of sax gear I've had over the last thirty years recently, and I reckon I've had 40 tenor mouthpieces. Recently I've had an RPC, LAW Buzzer, Lawtons, Francois Louis Spectruoso, various Bergs, Guardala King, Yani metals, some Bari metals, Vandoren Jumbo Javas and a Saxscape Naima. Most had their good points. Some great. But recently I've gone back to my battered and bruised old Otto Link. It's a 10, and has a large added baffle. It looks rough but it just outplays all the others, and I haven't touched any of my expensive (although all used) purchases for months. Soft or loud, bright or mellow, screaming altissimo, massive bottom end, it does it all. I'd already traded most of the above pieces, but I guess I still have several hundred pounds worth lying neglected in my case. Outplayed by an old Link I payed forty quid for.

So, am I finally cured of GAS? Will I ever buy another tenor mouthpiece?

Hi jonf, join the club - I've realised it must have been a hobby of mine for years and i didn't Know!
Mp's - Lig's - Reeds! And still searching for that perfect combo.
I wish you well in your quest.
Les.

I counted up what sort of sax gear I've had over the last thirty years recently, and I reckon I've had 40 tenor mouthpieces. Recently I've had an RPC, LAW Buzzer, Lawtons, Francois Louis Spectruoso, various Bergs, Guardala King, Yani metals, some Bari metals, Vandoren Jumbo Javas and a Saxscape Naima. Most had their good points. Some great. But recently I've gone back to my battered and bruised old Otto Link. It's a 10, and has a large added baffle. It looks rough but it just outplays all the others, and I haven't touched any of my expensive (although all used) purchases for months. Soft or loud, bright or mellow, screaming altissimo, massive bottom end, it does it all. I'd already traded most of the above pieces, but I guess I still have several hundred pounds worth lying neglected in my case. Outplayed by an old Link I payed forty quid for.

I've had about 40 horns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never mind mp's, TAKE A HOLD OF YOURSELF JOHNF, YOU KNOW THERES NEVER AN END,Well for me theres not and thats for sure.If there was life would be boring,new toys means more fun,shame it means less cash also.

Yes, you're spot on Davey, toys = fun. I know I'll buy something else sooner or later, it's just for the first time in thirty years playing I haven't been itching to get something else.

Now, 40 horns, is that a target for me to aim for? I think I've had 28. Thing is, I tend to hang on to them - current stock is 11. House is full of the things.

You are cured Jon >:) :)))

Now about that Namia, what size is it and how much? ;}

Yes, you're spot on Davey, toys = fun. I know I'll buy something else sooner or later, it's just for the first time in thirty years playing I haven't been itching to get something else.

Now, 40 horns, is that a target for me to aim for? I think I've had 28. Thing is, I tend to hang on to them - current stock is 11. House is full of the things.[/QUOTE
11 sounds odd to me,you need to make it a straight dozen,he he,hey i only got 5 horns,i feel i deserve a 6th horn now,cheers for putting that seed in my thick Geordie skull.

Now about that Namia, what size is it and how much? ;}

Fortunately for both of us, I sold that one a while ago. Currently have a couple of Lawtons, RPC, LAW Buzzzer, Brilhart, Yanagisawa, ROC and the Link- that's about it, I think.

leading to the point- how many of us experiment with loads of new mouthpieces, some good, some great- but end up back where we started (in my case an ebonite berg larsen, as you well know mr. ford!)?

leading to the point- how many of us experiment with loads of new mouthpieces, some good, some great- but end up back where we started (in my case an ebonite berg larsen, as you well know mr. ford!)?

Aha, yes indeedy!

Actually in my case I haven't gone back to where I started. For years and years I only had two mouthpieces, a Lawton and a ROC (bought for 50p!) and I almost exclusively played the Lawton. I simply couldn't afford another mouthpiece, so I didn't have the opportunity to experiment. Then, a few years ago my finances improved pretty dramatically, so I started to indulge myself. The Link was one of my earlier purchases in the 'mouthpiece tart' phase. Although I won't ever sell the Lawton, as I'm very attached to it, I do prefer the Link.

No. As far as I can remember I don't think I've ever done that. All the mpcs I play at the mo I've had for less than 4 years. The old ones generally don't get played at all - certainly not gigged.

Too early for me to tell but I doubt I'll be going back to my first mouthpiece - the Yamaha 4c! Too small of a tip! Out of the 14 mouthpieces I've got so far I know some will never be played again! Still waiting for the two Runyon Mouthpieces too try - nudge ;}

I think it comes in waves! When one finds something works they tend to stick with it for a while but eventually that thought slowly starts creeping back in - you know the one - if i just had that mouthpiece, ligature or whatever will it give me X hehe So I doubt you're cured :)))

I don't think there is a cure yet. I'm collecting for research though so all donations are gratefully accepted :)

There is only one cure. Poverty. When I was skint I didn't buy mouthpieces. Now I'm not, it's easy to indulge....

Well, a few more months on, am I still cured of GAS? Well, yes. Still totally satisfied with the old Link. So, I'll be selling some of my others, as they're too good and too valuable to leave unplayed. So, if anyone has a hankering after a LAW Buzzer, RPC or Morgan Fry Floridated Link, have a look in the For Sale section.

I started with the Yamaha 4CM that came with the instrument. I then slowly went to wider tip openings. The Vandoren T20 I am using now seems just fine, but if the opportunity arises I would like to try a T35. No hurry for that, though. Can't see myself going back to the 4CM.

Back
Top Bottom