All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Emily Tribute to Paul Desmond

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
This has been a fun project, trying to copy Desmond's style on the melody and solo of his great recording of Emily on the "Summertime CD". The transcription of the solo was done by Steve Khan. I simply wrote it out using Finale Songwriter. I transcribed Desmond's stylings of the melody as well. Both can be downloaded at the following links:

Emily Melody
Desmond Solo

For those who want to have a go at playing Emily at this tempo and in this key I have also uploaded the Aebersold accompaniment to SoundCloud. I used "The Amazing Slowdowner" software to change the key and the tempo to match Desmond's version. Enjoy.

DeadAudiolink Removed

https://soundcloud.com/jbtsax/emily-aebersold-accompaniment

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Sounding very nice JB, thanks for the time and effort to do this :thumb:

Chris..

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
I love this tune and thoroughly enjoyed your recording, thank you. I have the transcription but haven't had a bt until now, thanks again. :)

trimmy

One day i will...
Locality
Liverpool ( Pool of Life )
This is my fave tune from Desmond....love it love it love it :thumb:

Thanks for posting

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
It's mine too. I highly recommend buying his "Summertime" Album which contains some of his most laid back/note perfect playing along with an all star band playing delicious arrangements by Don Sebesky. For those who haven't heard the original Emily.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
It's mine too. I highly recommend buying his "Summertime" Album which contains some of his most laid back/note perfect playing along with an all star band playing delicious arrangements by Don Sebesky. For those who haven't heard the original Emily.

Wow!
When you have some time, it would be great if you could put together an article about Desmond.
In my ignorance I did not go much further than his stuff with Brubeck (and a lovely CD with Jim Hall).

fibracell

Well played JB - a difficult solo to play!!

I did a Desmond transcription of like someone in love- live in copenhagen 1958. Desmond just flows through the changes in a very relaxed and melodic way.

You can find the tune on you tubby
http://youtu.be/Z_5OweKNqCg

If you (or anyone) wants it just let me know.....

-Rob

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Thanks for that link. I would love that solo transcription. If you did all of his choruses that would have been quite an undertaking.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I'd also like the transcription if you don't mind.

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
Locality
The Millenium Falcon
Very impressive Rob, that would take me a month of Sundays and I still wouldn't get it done. I have a list of tunes for you.... Lol :)

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Thanks Rob. Excellent work. I can't wait to play it.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom