support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Electric vehicles

Nissan and Toyota have been piloting on public roads in Japan since 2013

The UK's first driverless car trials launched in Milton Keynes in 2015

Volvo is already trialling self drive cars in London with plans to go on sale in 2020/21

In an expansion of its Pittsburg trial in early 2016, Uber began picking up passengers in the San Francisco area in December 2016.

These guys don't think it will never happen

When their is a collision between a driverless and "normal" car, and there will be, which would be deemed to be responsible?
The human of course because by then we are going to be in the minority. Think forward to a wonderful Dystopian society here on earth whilst all the rich people live in colonies on Mars :)

Sat navs would need to be much more accurate and updated hourly. They still send people down down dead ends and the wrong way down one way streets. At least we can chose to ignore these directions and make the correct one. Well most people can, apart from the odd idiot or two.
The odd idiot?? I'd argue that 90% of people who hog the middle lane have sat navs on. Slip road, middle lane, dis-engage brain, coast along. Proper boils my wazz!

People seem to blindly follow everything a sat nav tells them rather than use it for what it is: an aide memoire. It is not a replacement for common sense (which all but appears to be gone from drivers these days).

Last edited:
The odd idiot?? I'd argue that 90% of people who hog the middle lane have sat navs on. Slip road, middle lane, did-engage brain, coast along. Proper boils my wazz!

People seem to blindly follow everything a sat nav tells them rather than use it for what it is: an aide memoire. It is not a replacement for common sense (which all but appears to be gone from drivers these days).
The thing that marks out the Sat Nav idiots is where they put the device, if it's a portable one. A favourite among the hard of thinking is right in front of them, in their prime line of sight. Car drivers tend to have tunnel vision at the best of times, but having a small screen right in front of their faces makes them much, much worse.

My wife's "Forward collision warning" system nearly killed my son and I.

Travelling a single carriageway A road, a truck was approaching from the other direction, A little close to the centre line but following its contour exactly. I did nothing to avoid it because my brain and experience told me it would pass with a gap of at least four feet.

The 2016 BMW X1 had other ideas... "BEEEEEEP" for a micro second then slammed the brakes on SO hard we were both thrown forward and the ABS was activated. Fortunately the road was dry so the car braked in a straight line. BMW were not interested: "Haven't heard of that before."

So, although autonomous cars may save a few lives (we'll never know), we will no doubt hear about the 100,000% increase in road deaths due to these cars crashing and killing LOTS of people. Then they'll all be withdrawn, and we can breathe easy again.

Why governments are allowing such madness I really don't know. Money I guess.

As for electric vehicles. We don't have enough electricity. Go with hydrogen - plenty of that.

When their is a collision between a driverless and "normal" car, and there will be, which would be deemed to be responsible?

If it's the driverless car, and it will be as it can't defend itself in court (or maybe they will be able to do that too!) who pays the damages? Could be the manufacturer, or the manufacturer's insurer?

Of course we, the "passengers" won't be responsible or need insurance, just as we don't when in a train or bus...

Oh, hang on... we will OWN the vehicle so we'll be responsible in the same way as an airline is when a plane crashes. Then we'll have to sue the manufacturer once we've proven the car is at fault. Simples! o_O

As for electric vehicles. We don't have enough electricity. Go with hydrogen - plenty of that.

Er, not readily available in its elemental form. Lots of it in water and hydrocarbons, but you need bags of energy to liberate the hydrogen.

And do you fancy driving round with a high pressure tank of hydrogen next to you ?

Rhys

Er, not readily available in its elemental form. Lots of it in water and hydrocarbons, but you need bags of energy to liberate the hydrogen.

And do you fancy driving round with a high pressure tank of hydrogen next to you ?

Rhys

Do you fancy driving around with 50 litres of highly flammable petrol behind you?

Have a look: Hydrogen cars: new Government funding for fuel cell vehicles

This made me chuckle, in view of your comment:

"Ben Madden, from Element Energy consultancy and UK energy projects, told Auto Express: “Once we get to that point, we’d expect it to be easier to build stations and it will mushroom..."

Yes money and shares shares shares everyone wants their cut
Assuming you have a pension and aren't relying on "The Government" to support you when (if?) you retire, shares will almost certainly be paying your pension... Of course you can always choose a provider who opts out of investments in fossil fuel, driverless cars, tobacco, pharmaceuticals or other industries you find distasteful.

Just today watched a very interesting Horizon on driverless vehicles (on BBC iPlayer, those outside the U.K. may have trouble with that). 100M cars in the USA, parked 97% of the time. Call it a need for 6M vehicles, used as needed and they take themselves away to recharge - I kinda like the sound of that...

...100M cars in the USA, parked 97% of the time. Call it a need for 6M vehicles, used as needed and they take themselves away to recharge - I kinda like the sound of that...

That would be fine if they were on rails and couldn't make stupid decisions to crash into things (a tram?), but a driverless car cannot and will not be able to make the right decisions. Only when a computer is identical to a human in terms of perception and decision making will that be possible.

Imagine being in a driverless car, heading for a bend... you'd be scared s**tl**s!
I think I've had some nightmares like that...

It is hard enough to trust a bus/train driver or a pilot, but a computer? Some cars that have internet connected electronics have already been hacked, not heard of any accidents, yet. Driver less cars ? Play time for hackers!

Back
Top Bottom