support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Eldon EST420LN - good for a beginner?

Saxokim

Locality
Canada
Hello all! I am a new player and am considering purchasing a used Eldon ETS420LN tenor sax. Does anyone have any opinions about this instrument? Thank you!

Never heard of it, but a search reveals that it's made by Antigua - so it should be a reasonable instrument.

How much is the seller asking for it?

I have never heard of it in the uk but that doesn't mean anything. If you can try it and it fits great. I don't know what your budget is but I always think a name is easier to move on if things don't work out.. Trouble is if you like playing and want / need to upgrade (different thread I guess) its easier px etc with a name but it may be a great sax thats right for you and go on for years;

It is very important to find out whether the horn is in playable condition and whether it needs work.
Saxophones are surprisingly fragile and leaking pads make a horn hard to play.
Find out when it was last serviced.
And even a playable horn will probably benefit from a service, so budget for that.

It would be good if you could get a competent player to try it out for you.

Also it is a good idea to find out whether the horn feels right in your hands - sometimes an instrument feels good, and sometimes not. Even if you are a beginner, you can find out a lot by having a honk.

Thank you, nigeld and everyone for your kind advice. On close inspection I saw it needed repairs - bent moving parts (that now don't). I shall stick with my borrowed Yamaha alto for now.

Back
Top Bottom