All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Effects Pedals for Saxophones

Louis Doyle

Locality
Perth, Western Australia
Hello, I'm new to cafesaxophone and am interested to know if there is anyone who can help with this question.
I play Alto and Tenor but want to create a larger sound by including effect pedals. I am trying to sound like a couple of harmonising saxes.
I know that you can play through an octave pedal and also a harmoniser, but I found the harmoniser gave a metallic sound.
The pedals were a Boss OC-3 Octave Pedal and a Helicon Vocal Harmony Pedal. I also have a Boss VE-20 Vocal Processor.
The VE-20 is used for vocals. I want the 'effect' to sound like a sax not a metal robotic sound.
Is there a way around this?
thanks

A

Acc closed 6441

Maybe take a look here

Louis Doyle

Locality
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks. Most of the effects are pretty outrageous and not what I am looking for. All I want is a sound where I am playing my Tenor and the effect is that of another Tenor playing a third or a fifth. This is possible as I have tried a couple of harmony pedals but the sound is metallic not rich. I want to know if anyone has tried a pedal that gives the impression that it is another saxophone that is playing alongside. If yes, what is the model/make of the pedal.
The BOSS octave pedal is very good in reproduction but it would be nice to achieve a harmony on some backing.

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Not sure how picky you are but I've been using a Digitech Vocal 300 for some years. It's programmable and has a pedal so the effect can be brought in and out slowly or quickly. Unfortunately it doesn't have many pedals so it's not possible to switch quickly from say from plaing with a third to a fifth instantly.

They are old technology, so cheap, if you can find one that's still working.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
The pedal world is new for me. I was shocked when I heard that the alto player could play the "bari" as well!?!?!?! I don't like when the piano player is pitching the keyboard so he/she use the fingerings for C in all keys. I'm too old for this. But I guess it's the future?

Play two saxes at the same time? Eddie Shaw and 757 Allstars.
View: https://youtu.be/f8gG7Ir1enc

Dont use the octave key? Andrew Clark is playing.
View: https://youtu.be/Rap_PObzMoE

Ballymenaboy

Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
I have the Boss VE20 and use it mostly for the reverb function.Some of the sounds such as 5th harmony are OK for me but none of the sounds come close to two saxes in harmony.
Having said that I do like some of the effects for their novelty value

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
Sounds like you need something like a chorus pedal? There are somewhat more expensive boxes that provide a much wider range of effects which you can pick and choose or even link together, including a looper. BOSS make various ones

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Here's an example of the Vocal 300. This is rather modern and "Classical" in nature so probably not to anyone's taste here. Recorded around 6 years ago. The fifty harmony is used and brought in delicately and not continuously. The section at the very end uses it most distinctly. Having a pedal gives you the ability to vary the amount/intensity. Without that almost any effect can be a bit much if continuous.
This track is embedded with the friendly permission by the creatives on wikiloops.com
View: https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-55862.php

Reactions: MMM

InWalkedBud

Locality
Canada
In the past, I've performed with a TC Quintessence to flesh out a sax section. It has loads of settings, so can easily add a 3rd and 5th in any key, and pretty good tracking, which is always a challenge where complex saxophone harmonics are involved. Just be advised that it can sound a bit like a harmonica, depending on how you blow, mic, and amplify your horn.

jzsaxlatin

Locality
Earth
Thanks. Most of the effects are pretty outrageous and not what I am looking for. All I want is a sound where I am playing my Tenor and the effect is that of another Tenor playing a third or a fifth. This is possible as I have tried a couple of harmony pedals but the sound is metallic not rich. I want to know if anyone has tried a pedal that gives the impression that it is another saxophone that is playing alongside. If yes, what is the model/make of the pedal.
The BOSS octave pedal is very good in reproduction but it would be nice to achieve a harmony on some backing.
Hello Louis! I use a TC Helicon Voicelive 3 extreme and it has tons of fxs and the harmonizer is on point! Not sure what your budget is and if that would be overkill for you. I recently got a CloudVocal Isolo prime and it has two built in harmonizers, those are two of it's 8 built in fxs along with being a wireless mic and having a couple additional inputs. Not sure if you already have a good mic or wireless mic setup, but if you don't I highly recommend the prime. A trumpet player friend of mine has been using TC Helicon Perform VE with good results too. The Voicelive 3 extreme has all the bells and whistles and more, I've had mine a couple years and am still learning everything it does. On a quick, simple gig though it's the Isolo prime for me, and I have used it a couple times with my Voicelive 3 extreme to make for some very cool sounds. I need to make a video of that lol! Hope that helps

InWalkedBud

Locality
Canada
I've been considering a Meris Hedra, which supposedly has about the best tonal reproduction for saxes among pedal harmonizers, and a lot more fun features to boot.

But while the Hedra does have good tracking in the demos I've seen online, it still doesn't do justice to the complex harmonics of a reed instrument.

Dunno, but maybe rack gear would sound better?

DaveT

Locality
UK
I'm old enough to remember Van der Graaf Generator, saw them a number of times. Dave Jackson the sax player often played two saxes at the same time and used various effects pedals.
From http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/pawnhearts/jaxon_sax_text1.jpg
we have this:-
King Octavoice
Vox Wah Wah
Volume pedal
Big HiWatt amplifier with a pair of 4x12 cabinets

He liked sax feedback and could control the thing by shaping his mouth - no need to blow!
Finding a good pickup system was a problem. He ended up using old BBC earphones!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I'm old enough to remember Van der Graaf Generator, saw them a number of times. Dave Jackson the sax player often played two saxes at the same time and used various effects pedals.
Wonder if that is our member @altissimo ??
Check out his profile
Jx

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom