All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19

Effect of virus fears

ESJohn

Hello everyone
Ugh what a subject to bring up. Our band rehearsal for this evening has been cancelled because of the corona virus (one case was confirmed in town just yesterday). The rehearsals are at a local university and they have closed their facilities to public events and the students are taking online classes. I have a feeling that we won't be having any practices together for a while. We are to watch our website for updates.
Has anyone else had a performance or rehearsal cancelled or altered? I hope that each and everyone here is healthy and strong!

GJ77

I had a gig cancelled on Tuesday and a short tour in Germany next week is currently ‘under consideration’

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Lots of Bands I follow on Social Media are cancelling Tours. I'm due to see Theo Croker next week. I would be surprised if it goes ahead. I'm not sure I'll be going if it does. Lots of people are going to take an economic hit, even if their Health isn't too badly affected! Musician or not.

rhysonsax

Our big band is rehearsing tonight at a local school. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the last session for a while - it depends on what the school says and whether we get any government advice.

Rhys

Admitone

NAB, National Association of Broadcasters, cancelled the April show in Las Vegas. 100,000 people were expected to attend.

NBA, National Basketball Association, postponed all games.

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson test positive while filming in Australia.

The best way to stop this from spreading is to stay at home.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I suspect next hit in uk will be cancelling of events that have a lot of people attending - so concerts, theatres, cinema etc. For some groups that could be ruinous

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Most of my gigs are pub gigs and they're likely to go ahead. Summer festivals could be badly hit though.

OP
ESJohn

ESJohn

I was just wondering about how it is affecting playing, rehearsing and performing of the members here (such as Nick's comments above). For me, it looks like I'm back to practicing by myself again. I should have joined the band months and months ago. The other aspects of the virus impact worldwide are very well known.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
My orchestra has a concert due next week - I'm waiting to see if it will go ahead.

rhysonsax

Our big band is rehearsing tonight at a local school. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the last session for a while - it depends on what the school says and whether we get any government advice.

Rhys
The school has just called off our rehearsal. Disappointed but not surprised.

Rhys

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I was a bit sceptical about "hysteria" up until recently... but taking action sooner rather than later is probably a better (and smaller scale) sacrifice to make rather than wait until it's too late and it all goes to hell.

David Dorning

Subscriber
I had an interesting chat with some students today. A Chinese girl couldn’t believe we aren’t all wearing masks as everyone in China does. A UK student pointed out the advice that the virus is small enough to go straight through a mask so there’s not much point wearing one. We all recognised the advice available in different countries is very variable. No surprises that different societies will accept different levels of restriction to their day to day lives, which to an extent governs what is going to be practicable. I thought the advice given this afternoon by the two UK medical advisers seemed very sensible and honest, explaining why severe restrictions have not been called for at this early stage because it could lead to diminishing adherence over time and less effect when they are really needed.

Incidentally I tried to buy some dust masks last week because I was doing a lot of sanding at home. There’s not a (dust) mask to be had anywhere in Chichester. Apparently one guy took a trolley and bought the whole stock from one of the biggest stores. The College where I work is facing cancelling some courses because all the stockists of studio safety equipment (that is, masks not designed to contain viruses) are sold out.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Madness, I feel like I'm living in a film. Hope you source some masks @David Dorning

My heart goes out to Italy at the moment but I fear the rest of Europe may only be a matter of weeks behind....

Jx

Moz

My wife and are are due to go to see an opera in Plymouth next month, while nothing has been said yet about large gatherings I am not hopeful that I will get to see it. Moreover, if it is not cancelled, do I not go anyway; I'm 66 this year and while I seem to be in good health one never knows.

Admitone

Things in the US seem to be moving badly exponentially. Large numbers think there's nothing to worry about.

The Governor of Georgia said everyone over 60 should self-quarantine. But the national government seems to be doing nothing but blaming China.

Hipparion

Well...
Our rehearsals have been cancelled at least until April 3rd. All theatres and programmed social gatherings have also been cancelled, starting 2 weeks ago.
Now, everything that is not essential (bars, any non essential shop) is closed, and decrees are passed to keep people in their own homes.

Yes, I am in Italy. No, definitely not at any epicenter of the outbreak. For now I am quite fine (and so are all the people I know). Just bored to stay confined. Small problem...

Clivey

Madness, I feel like I'm living in a film. Hope you source some masks @David Dorning

My heart goes out to Italy at the moment but I fear the rest of Europe may only be a matter of weeks behind....

Jx
Yerp. We've all seen the film and played the game.its horrible.

I am pretty glad they don't sell guns in the supermarket

Last edited by a moderator:

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
This is the best website on the subject that I came across so far.

It looks like the situation in Italy is the worst, Spain, France and Germany are currently in similar positions. But if you look at the number of cases per 1 million population, you can see how bad it is in Italy and how the number of cases alone don't provide a good measure of the situation.

France just decided to close down all nurseries, schools, high schools and universities. Most companies that can do it are instructing their employees to work from home... As I will starting tomorrow. But then what? I was due to go out Tuesday to start anew project. Not sure what's gonna happen. We might try and do it remotely.

It is sad to see all these activities being cancelled. But my brother, who's a tour guide in the USA is devastated by last night's announcement to ban flights from Europe. He's out of work for at least a few months!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom