support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Edly's Music Theory for Practical People

Chris98

Hello,

In my late evening adventures I chanced upon a violin forum... Don't ask... and on there someone was asking about Music Theory. A subject I know would do my soul good but, alas, every time I delve into it it is quickly confirms that it is a 100% totally alien language to me and the door in my mind closes.

But enough of my inadequacies... On this Violin forum someone wholeheartedly recommended:
Edly's Music Theory for Practical People As I consider myself a practical person who occasional indulges in academic delusions, it sort of grabbed my attention.

So after all that waffle... Has anyone come across it, and what are your thoughts?

All the best,

Chris

Hello,

In my late evening adventures I chanced upon a violin forum... Don't ask... and on there someone was asking about Music Theory. A subject I know would do my soul good but, alas, every time I delve into it it is quickly confirms that it is a 100% totally alien language to me and the door in my mind closes.

Chris

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really feel I should tackle some theory but like you find it a totally alien language :)

Jx

I downloaded the pdf sample pages and this looks like it is very well done. The information isn't "watered down" because you can't really "water down" music theory. Like mathematics, it is what it is. However it seems to be presented in a clear, and logical fashion with a bit of humor along the way. The only thing that might make the book even better would be an accompanying CD coordinated with the text so the reader could hear the intervals, chords, scales, etc. as they are presented.

Some folks seem to have a mental block when they hear the word music theory. It could accurately be called just learning about music. Music is made up of sounds. All music theory does is teach all the different ways those sounds can be organized either horizontally to make scales or vertically to make chords and harmony.

I'm tempted to take a chance on it, I'd not found the PDF sample pages until you mentioned them jbtsax, the sample page images which I had come across didn't load. I agree that a CD would be very useful, after all music is auditory not visual.

Jeanette, thank you, it is most comforting to know that there are two of us on this forum...

all the best,

Chris

I'm tempted to take a chance on it, I'd not found the PDF sample pages until you mentioned them jbtsax, the sample page images which I had come across didn't load. I agree that a CD would be very useful, after all music is auditory not visual.

Jeanette, thank you, it is most comforting to know that there are two of us on this forum...

all the best,

Chris

Funny this should come up now, I've been told to lay of playing for 2 weeks and so have told my tutor who is due next Tues to prepare for a theory lesson. I'll let you know how I go on. I should probably enter a theory exam and that would focus my mind :)

Jx

I've hurt my elbow and playing makes it and my forearm ache :(

Chris, Amazon have some second hand copies cheap as chips, Jeanette, ah 'Sympathy' , in the Dictionary between Shxt and Syphyllus, well that's what my wife always says.:)

Well I've ordered a copy, it will probably sit on the shelf with the other theory books but you never know :)

Jx

Well I've ordered a copy, it will probably sit on the shelf with the other theory books but you never know :)

Jx

Please let us know how it is.
I mean the book, not the shelf.

However....I would like to know about the shelf please

Well it's 2ft 3" long 7" depth, brown and I'm thinking of going to sit on it, except it's probably not strong enough and I'd hit my head on the one above:D

Jx

Well it's 2ft 3" long 7" depth, brown and I'm thinking of going to sit on it, except it's probably not strong enough and I'd hit my head on the one above:D

Jx
Jeanette......as long as I am around you will never be left on the shelf

Aaah, Jeanette.............another four weeks and I shall be able to propose to you!! Here is something to cheer you up.....there are a lot of archived pages.....the ads are great...www.framleyexaminer.com

Books arrived, sat in the conservatory after tea having a look and the sun came out. I fell asleep (hard day at work and then some physio are my excuse), will report back when I've read a bit more :)

Jx

Have a little more time now. It's a nice size book, the other two I have are Music theory for dummies which has never grabbed me and The right way to read music by Harry & Michael Baxter which is a small book and such hard work and I empathise with Chris when he says "the door in my mind closes.".

I've got as far as page 13 and completed the first exercise (and found one of the print errors). It was easy to read but whether that was because he starts where all the other books do and it's just revision I'm not sure.

I like the layout of the book and it grabs me which is a start. if anyone is interested I will post again when I've got on to new stuff and see if it is still going in :)

Jx

Back
Top Bottom